Re: [Epic] Infiltration

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 07:28:45 -0400

> Scouts infiltrate forward of the main body the night before or they
> travel ahead of the main body providing a screen line. In reality
> scouts DO have vehicles. The Rhino and Razorback simulate scout
> vehicles currently used by U.S. Armed Forces (i.e. M113 and Bradley
> CFV).

My point of view was always that since it was allowed in the rules, the
rationalization was that they used the vehicle to help them infiltrate
further. Either way, walking or riding, the first move I think
everyone will agree does not happen in the instant that you move them
up. It represents activity prior to the battle. Thus there's less to
worry about in terms of time paradoxes and all that. I'd be more
worried about assault marines in rhinos, myself.

When I see a small scouting detachment of a few Razorbacks (you're
right, they definitely are aimed at M3s) with some Scouts able to get
way ahead on the first turn, it doesn't seem wrong to me. Call me
crazy...

I understand what you're saying is that it's impossible for them to
infiltrate with these big, noisy vehicles along. Well, if you use the
vehicles to move them WAY up, your enemy will probably be close enough
to kill all your scouts on turn 1. Enough said, he noticed them 'cause
of the vehicles.

> On the other had the most effective scouts in the U.S. Army are
> stationed at the National Training Center in California. These light

> infantry scouts WALK deep into our rear area and set of observation
> posts throughout the battlefield. There are stories of these guys
> having records of every single one of our bumper numbers (Vehicle
> ID).

I keep hearing great things about these guys. These are the OPFOR
guys, right? Sounds extremely neat, too bad they're cutting back on
light infantry along with everything else.

Hey, is there such a thing as a 'silenced' tracked scouting vehicle?

Regards,

- Erik

"Look within. Within is the fountain of good, and it will ever bubble
up, if you will ever dig."
- Marcus Aurelius