RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 17:32:38 +0200

----------
From: J. Michael Looney[SMTP:mlooney_at_...]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 1997 4:22 PM
To: space-marine_at_...
Subject: Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

I did NOT say that troops should ignore tactical threats, I said the
rules should not force you into shooting at a unit you don't want to
shoot at. Let me give a "real world example" here.

MadMac replies:
Awwwwww, I was just funnin ya. I knew you button and I was dancing on
it. It wasn't much of a rant this time. I'm concerned for your
health. Are you getting enough sleep? Drink plenty of fluids. I am
going to fight Orks this Sunday (Epic or 40K don't know which one yet,
the Chaos player just bought 450 marks worth of Orcs so you know it
will be cheesy). Ill be sure to come back Monday and talk bad about
them so I can spin you up again. Is there any other sacred part of
the game you want me to know about right now? XXX OOO XXX

You are the platoon leader of a 4 tank platoon armed with M1A1 You
have in front of you, at about 2000 meters a company of "Russian"
Mech
infantry, supported by a platoon of T-XX (latest Russian tank, assume
it
to be capable of hurting a M1A1 at this range). The tanks are at say
2100 meters. The mech infantry is in BMP-2 (the one with no ATGM and
30mm Auto Cannon). You are under "weapons free" ROE (that may be an
ADA thing, ignore if N/A to Armor). Do you
1) shoot the tanks, which can hurt you RIGHT NOW or
2) shoot the infantry which may give you fits in 10-15 min. when they
get there.

MadMac laments,
There is no comparison. When you are in the gunners seat you scan for
targets and engage them as they present themselves. Tanks do get
priority over BMP. All BMPs have ATGM. It is the BMP-3 with the ATGM
that shoots out of the gun tube and has a greater range than the
M-1 that you shoot before the tank. Don't forget that ZSU 23-4 that
you have to kill first so the aircraft can come in and give close
support. There are so many priority targets that you have to shoot at
what presents itself and hope the units on the left and right take out
their fair share.

A good set of war game rules should let you do it either way. WH40K
says that you shoot the mech inf. first, you have no choice.

<a snip here>

<and a snip there>

>Here we get into a personal, almost, dare I say it, "religious"
issue.
>I feel that an E40K SM, IG or Eldar detachment is a platoon, not a
>company. This makes quite a difference in detachment design. I
can
>not think of many real world TO&Es that mix armor and infantry at
the
>platoon level (H series Armored Cav, and BAOR Tank Regiments, both
>1970's era, being the only ones off the top of my head, there may be
>more, and I think the BAOR was a task grouping, not TO&E). For what
it
>is worth I base SM on US TO&E, and IG on Soviet TO&Es. They are
both
>field test orgs that seem to work...

MadMac write,
Yes personal preference here. I see a single detachment as a 40K
army. Each detachment is already task organized into Teams (i.e my
INF team with 2 LR and my Armor team with 5 LR).

Don't count on "the doctrine formerly know as Soviet" (Sorry, had to
be done. It won't happen again). Soviet doctrine DEPENDS on 3 to 1
advantage (minimum), massed artillery, and air superiority. You don't
get that in a equal war game scenerio. Ever play Team Yankee. A
Soviet Battalion attacks a Armor Company (and loses). Orks without a
scree. . . (Opps sorry almost use the "S" word)

Talk to ya Monday.

MadMac