Re: [Epic] Ork mobs was marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: Mark A Shieh <SHODAN+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:05:33 -0400 (EDT)

"J. Michael Looney" <mlooney_at_...> writes:
> MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT wrote:
> > I dumped 12 drop pods full of blood claws (cc 5! Wow) on a unit of
> > three Lords of Change. Imagine my surprise when they did not get 1
> > snap fire shot per GD but 1 Snap Fire shot per GD per drop pod w/I
> > 10cm (12 shots!). 3 drop pods shot down! Curses.
> >

> Ah, yeah, snap fire. Got to love it. A unit gets to shoot at each unit
> that comes in range, once. If you send 6 bikes chargeing in at 4
> wartracks well each bike eats 4 dice of snap fire, which works out to
> what, 5 dead bikes (sorry Matt, but that was the best I have ever done
> with snap fire)

        And the sixth one is only alive because it stopped 10cm away
and thought better of it. You just can't get next to the enemy.

> > I use 2 LR and 2 WG Term stands in every detachment to replicate the
> > wolfguard leaders dispersed through the army. Now I find out two LR
> > per detachment is cheesy, espically when I add Atk Bikes (Help me Obi
> > Wan, I've gone to the dark side).
> >
> > I cannot bring Wolfguard without landraiders.

        I don't see any problems with this. The Land Raider is
overpowered and underpriced, and can be purchased for few $$$. This
says to me that you should probably at least use the 4 in the box set.
Putting 2 in each detachment isn't any worse than putting a bunch in 1
detachment, and it sounds like they're not a significant part of the
army anyway. Any reason each detachment need 10 leaders instead of 5
though?

> Or do you mix Long Fangs, Grey Hunters and Blood
> Claws in a single detachment? What ever.

        WH40k players do it all the time, and a WH40k army is an E40k
detachment. I don't see a problem, since there's no such thing as a
company any more. (Make a detachment that big, and Blast Markers
rapidly make it useless) I miss the detachment cards. :( The only
problem with them was having 4 lesser daemons and needing 5 to fill a
card, but otherwise, it was nice not being able to select your forces
one stand at a time. You're a commander, not a special ops Mission
Impossible type. It was also nice having a limit that mattered on the
number of uncommon troops you could field. Now, I can have an army of
all Aspect Warriors if I wanted, just like WH40k.

> However, Space Wolves them self are a bit cheesy, even if you do stick
> to there basic concept, as stated in C:SW, because, well C:SW is cheesy,
> IMNSHO

        I completely agree here, unless you're fielding them as
standard marine rules and spiffy paint jobs (in which case I approve
wholeheartedly). How many different kinds of "elite humans with
rifles and good armor" does the game need? Is there really a huge
difference on this scale between 5 Tac Ultramarines and 5 Tac Space
Wolves? Are White Scars the only masters of hit+run, far superior to
Eldar Scouts and bikers, Gargoyles (okay, so those do hit+run too),
etc, etc? I like the power, mind you, but it should be in the main
rules and apply to a lot of troops if it's a thing fast-striking
troops do.

Mark