Re: [Epic] Q&A (&Tactics) pages updates

From: Sean A. Upchurch <sau_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:31:45 -0700 (PDT)

Erik:
> Great post, great ideas! I presume this is the 'ablative grey line'
> you mention in your battle reports?

The one and the same.

<snip the morale value thing>

> 3M is a beautifully designed detachment and could do some damage on its
> own, but 2M does seem to be the perfect type for the overall cheap
> lines strategy.

For those curious, the "testbed" army for the ablative line tactic was:

Air Detachment: 6 Marauder
Arty Det: 6 Hvy Arty, Hydra
Marine Det: Captain[jump pack], librarian[JP], 3 Assault Squads, drop pods
2x Leman Russ Sqn: 3 Leman Russ
3x Rough Rider Det: RR HQ, 3xRR, 2xHellhound
2x Line Detachment 3M
4x Line Detachment 2MF --> Total 1983pts

If I had to do this again I'd drop one of the HH from the RR det. My opponent
couldn't roll high enough on his FP hits to score the HH so I ended up getting
my RR stripped away. That left a bunch of useless HHounds running around.

The single marine squad is almost a necessity of you take RR as that gives you
enough punch to win an Assault somewhere, once.

To maximize the line concept, you can drop the RR, or the Air Det and get
*another* Arty Det. Talk about Firepower!

Sean U