[Epic] Army concepts

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:45:46 -0500

This is just something that I have just started thinking about a lot of
late.
I play either SM/IG or Orks, mainly, with some Eldar, Chaos and 'Nids on
the sides, more or less because I might want to play them later, but
SM/IG and Orks are my main forces.

These forces can be thought of as either "TO&E based" or "Tribal based".

The Imperial forces are TO&E with one execption and the Orks, are, with
one expection Tribal. The execptions are Space Wolves and Blood Axes.

Again this all just my ideas, nothing set in stone.

TO&E armies should follow these "rules"
1) Detachments should be platoon sized (5-10 units, depending on type)
2) You should be able to "name" the platoon with a functional name
(Heavy Weapon Platoon, Mech Inf Platoon, Scout Platoon, Tank Platoon
etc)
3) A company is made up of 3-4 platoons
4) A Battalion is made up of a command element and 3-4 companies
5) Each platoon that has the same "name" has the same type of troops in
it.

(Yes, this is the old Epic SM 2nd "Cards" system, but you are not
limited to what ever TO&E that GW came up with)

Example SM Team "Yankee" (in a game small enough that a single company
is the "army" in play, I don't have my rules handy so don't hold me to
point costs here. This is concept here)

Command Element (SC)
Land Raider + Some bodyguards

3 SM Tank Platoons
1 Command LR
    4 LR
1 SM Infantry Platoon
1 Cmd Inf Stand + APC
    8 SM stands in APCs
    4 Whirlwinds in support (In the real world this would just be a FO
stand, but your guns have to be on table in the GW world of
Waterlizt.... <opps starting a rant>)

The point here is that you are fielding a Tank Heavy Company Team (tm US
Army), of 5 detachments (1 SC, 3 tank and 1 inf). 3 of the detachments
are identical (The tanks). If you did a Battlion you would do, say
another Tank Heavy Team and an Infanty Team (reverse the mix of tank to
inf platoons with an Inf command element, not a tank) or maybe a
balanced team (2 platoons each, based on either Inf or Tanker in the
command slot). However, in each team you would have the same kind of
platoons, all of which look alike.

The fluff impies that both SM and IG should be done this way (BTW, not
like I just did for SM, at least for Codex Chapters). Not sure about
Eldar, but it seem logical that Guardian units would have a structrure
like this with the Harly's and the Aspects being "custom"

The point here is small similar detachments for this army concept.

Tribal Armies
1)Detachments should be larger (20-30 units)
2)Mixed function
3) No two detachments should look the same.

More on this later when I have access to rules and I am not supposed to
be fixing voice mail systems...

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus