RE: [Epic] Q&A (&Tactics) pages updates

From: Matt Starling <mstarling_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:44:09 -0700

>Why would you want it to still be 2 morale? I don't try to design
>detac=
hments for the morale, BUT I do feel that being slightly over the
>next mor=
ale level is better. I used to think differently, here's my
:

>Detachment with 2 morale:
>Contributes 2 to army morale for purposes o=
f sustaining morale loss.
>When you lose it, you lose 1 morale, giving you=
 a net 1 morale gain for
>having the detachment (if you haven't lost the mo=
rale to blast markers)

>Detachment with 3 morale:
>Contributes 3 to army =
morale for purposes of sustaining morale loss.
>When you lose it, you lose=
 2 morale, giving you a net 1 morale gain,
>etc....

        <snip>

        I'm pretty=
 sure you're incorrect here. My understanding is: when a
detachment is redu=
ced to half strength (in terms of number of units) the
entire army loses th=
at detachment's morale value. I.e., if a detach. is
worth 3 Morale, taking =
it to half strength costs it's army 3 Morale.

Nickles

I agree. I believ=
e the rule is suppose to be once a detachment has suffered enough casualtie=
s to bring it to half strength, the total morale value for that detachment =
is deducted from the army total. Which brings to mind a question; if I kee=
p just over half of the units in a detachment on the "back line" and move t=
he rest of the detachment, including the HQ, to engage the enemy (moving th=
em beyond command range of the slackers in the back), what happens when the=
 "front row" gets wiped out. Example: ork warboss in stompa w/ 3 stompas a=
nd 5 gretchin make up a detachment. The gretchin hide in the back while th=
e stompas go on march orders. by round 2, the gretchin are out of command=
 range. The stompas then go on assault, engage a warlord titan, and make a=
 nice addition to the titan's rubble claws on his feet (all the stompas and=
 warlord get squished). do the gretchin still count as being part of that =
detachment so the orks don't lose any morale? if not, what happens to the =
gretchin? (besides just being kicked around for the fun of it).