Re: [Epic] Painting

From: Bart Koehler <bkoehler_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 09:00:11 -0400

> To get a decent Orky red (and this is a tip a number of the GW staffers suggested to me as I had exactly the same trouble) what you do is paint or drybrush Crimson Gore over the black undercoat. This is a much denser more opaque colour and will cover the black nicely. Once done drybrush the Blood Red over that to get a rich Ork red without it being too bright. The same applies if you want to paint white over the black undercoat, use Bleached Bone first then Skull White over that.

To get a drab Orky Red or Yellow, I usually drybrush my model with Bolt Gun Metal, paint the Parts I want Red or Yellow, it doesn't matter what shade. At this point, the red or yellow looks very transparent,. BUT once you Chestnut Wash the entire model, the red or yellow looks drab and muddy and the metal looks rusty. If you are going for that look, which I am, the effect can be quite Orky. I usually highlight the raised areas and I have a very Orky looking model.

Bart