Re: [Epic] cheese

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 20:51:20 -0500

> From: John A Chapman <jac_at_...>
>
> > flying high can spot them and either call down indirect barrages or
> > shoot at them (or both). The WS is not a skimmer so fast units can
>
> 'Oh but then ill have to take flyers and shitty barrage units (I think
> as we dont allow allies (and noone plays IG) that this limits the choice to
> whirlwinds (and not much choice for orks)' like my heart bleeds - actually
> having to take units to counter a threat - well I never..... :).

        You left out the all-important Mole Mortars and Thudd Guns,
but if opponents aren't willing to take the units necessary to cope
with a threat, then that's their problem. I like the fast attack
method myself, and no army con compain about not having fast attack
stuff.

> > For one thing, his tarantulas are useless unless you move
> > into their range, which is only 75cm. A sit back and shoot army
>
> Umm he's happy to site them at the start (usually 2 pairs of 2 on
> the set up line) and leave them on FF covering as much ground as possible.
> It seems that my units with 75cm guns all take way too much damage (in terms
> of points and VPs exchanged) dealing with them and the

        Then you're not taking enough. A falcon host is worth more
than its points in tarantulas, 2 hosts on pop-up against his 3-4 units
of tarantulas means lots of dead tarantulas and only a few dead falcons.
Sit back and shoot armies should have enough concentrated firepower
to take out just about anything.

> host I took , on the first turn 2 (later found to be empty) thunderhawks
> charged my 2 firestorms. This was followed by 2 more t hawks (full of marines)
> which jumped over the screens of bikes and promptly killed 5 of the 6 tempests.

        Were the bikes touching the Tempests so that he couldn't
get to the tanks the turn he charged?

        Try taking as many Firestorms as he has Thunderhawks.
That way you can shoot at every one... it would be a miracle if
any survived that.

> > Using Titans and tempests to fire everything into magnus (or some
>
> Pity only the 100cm guns usually get into range and Crystalline body
> makes using pulsars dodgy :(.....Also with tempests Magnus usually moves
> so that he can only see/be seen by one - which he then dispatches in the psychic
> phase before it can do jack - the injustice of it all :( .

        If he's firing in the psychic phase, how is he hitting them
at all? They don't pop-up until they fire in the FF phase. Maybe
you're not using enough cover?

> > can't break them)) Prism Cannons, prism cannons, prism cannons.
>
> Love em - usually take some - maybe I should take more but then again
> we get to the cheese threshold of taking too many of a unit......

        Oh? You mean like this guy's doing with the thunderhawks?

> You said it - along with the price of a warlock titan .......

        Warlock titans aren't overpriced unless you're going to be
facing decent artillery.

> > From what I've heard Doom Weavers are only useful if
> > you take more than one unit.
>
> Something to make him think twice about using that big plasma weapon
> on the Warlord if its there, also great when used in conjunction with WS's.

        Being hit by a WS doesn't count as being immobilised for
the Doomweaver, according to Jervis & ANdy.

> > Yeah, but they also generally fail to accomplish anything.
>
> Still I feel the occasional need to brush the dust off the hunters -
> then they do nothing and I dont use them again till ive forgotten how useless
> they were :).

        Sounds like me & most of the Daemon Engines... =)

Scott
shupes_at_...