Re: [Epic] History after 1900,s (off topic)

From: Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte <eug_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 15:45:46 -0700

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> >Sauron1 wrote; "Totally off topic" The Canadian papers are full of
> recent
> >test results that show grade 9 Canadian school children are totally
> lacking
> >a clear understanding of Canadian History after 1900,s. The can tell
> you
> >about Slavery but not mutch about Canada at that time, except we had
> lots
> >people emigrating from Europe. How do yours do?
> >
> > sauron1
> >

> In France, the school program before our main exam (Baccalaur�at)
> concentrates on the two World Wars (Hey! Two more abreviations WWI
> and WWII) and on the 4th and 5th Republics.
> French schoolboys and schoolgirls know a lot of things about the two
> WWs but all becomes vague when you speak about the 4th Republic. In
> general they know that the 5th Republic comes from G�n�ral De Gaule
> and the names of the 5th Republic Presidents since Pompidou but
> that's all... Algeria and Indochina wars are not well known.
>
> Francois Bruntz
> Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France

Wow... in France they teach you about the World Wars? Canadian history
focusses on, obsessively, Confederation, New France (before it was
conquered by da Englush) and the 'roaring' twenties, for some reason. The
two WW's were always left to the last month of classes, and then cancelled
because too much time was spent on the previous sections. I always found
that a trifle frustrating; guess which part of the curriculum I was looking
forward to?

Eugene