Re: [Epic] History after 1900,s (off topic)

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 08:40:52 -0700

>Francois Bruntz wrote:
>
>> >Sauron1 wrote; "Totally off topic" The Canadian papers are full of
>> recent
>> >test results that show grade 9 Canadian school children are totally
>> lacking
>> >a clear understanding of Canadian History after 1900,s. The can tell
>> you
>> >about Slavery but not mutch about Canada at that time, except we had
>> lots
>> >people emigrating from Europe. How do yours do?
>> >
>> > sauron1
>> >

>> In France, the school program before our main exam (Baccalaur�at)
>> concentrates on the two World Wars (Hey! Two more abreviations WWI
>> and WWII) and on the 4th and 5th Republics.
>> French schoolboys and schoolgirls know a lot of things about the two
>> WWs but all becomes vague when you speak about the 4th Republic. In
>> general they know that the 5th Republic comes from G�n�ral De Gaule
>> and the names of the 5th Republic Presidents since Pompidou but
>> that's all... Algeria and Indochina wars are not well known.
>>
>> Francois Bruntz
>> Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France
>
>Wow... in France they teach you about the World Wars? Canadian history
>focusses on, obsessively, Confederation, New France (before it was
>conquered by da Englush) and the 'roaring' twenties, for some reason. The
>two WW's were always left to the last month of classes, and then cancelled
>because too much time was spent on the previous sections. I always found
>that a trifle frustrating; guess which part of the curriculum I was looking
>forward to?
>
>Eugene

        When I went to High School, lo these ten years ago, it seemed as if there
was a coordinated History program: world history, taught up until the end
of WWII, then American history from the Revolution on.
        In retrospect, this is what I think they were trying to do: "This is the
world, boys and girls, see how messed up it is? Then along we come and fix
everything. Let's take a look at how we got to be so cool..."

        Cynical? Perhaps, but I don't think that propaganda is just for other
countries.

Nickles