Re: [Epic] Battle Report [LONG!]

From: Sean A. Upchurch <sau_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:01:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, J. Michael Looney wrote:

> I still hold that Epic 40.000 is designed around units that are the same
> as the DETACHMENT cards in SM/TL not the company cards. The problem is
> that so many ex SM/TL players think in terms of the company cards that
> hugh, unwieldy, mixed mission detachments get made. Yes there is some

I concur. Many of our first detachments out here had that look. It took
quite a few playings to reinforce the benefits of numerous smaller
detachments. There are some exceptions though.

Chaos Cultists should be large and freely mixed with beastmen. A Tyranid
drop assault group needs to be large enough to take the fire of 1/3 the
opposing army and still have enough left to beat them in CC. Ork detachments
*look* like they want to be large, but I haven't played enough to make any
kind of a real comment on Orks.

Lastly, note that *none* of those detachments I mentioned are mixed mission.
They're just large. Players should try to avoid making mixed mission groups.
They'll only confuse you later as you decide between Overwatch and Assault
since the detachment can do both. You should pick an order for the det at
the beginning of the game and stick with it. If you think you might want to
assault the enemy, build an assault detachment. If you might want to shoot,
build a shooty detachment.

> game mechanic resones to mix in FP units with SHW units, but there is no
> reason to mix say, artillery and assult troops in the same detachent.
> The same army, sure, but as different order groups.

Arty and Assault don't go too well together, true. But I'd have no problem
with some tacticals in there. Somebody has to carry/load the ammo. They
can also standoff 20cm or so and act as a SAM screen which isn't pushing
things too far.

Sean U

---------
Sean A Upchurch | http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~sau
Jet Propulsion Laboratory | EPIC /spmar/spmar.html
sau_at_... | WH40K /wh40k/40k.html +others!