RE: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

From: MCLAUGHLIN, RICHARD A. CPT <MCLAUGHLINR_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:50:17 +0200

----------
From: J. Michael Looney[SMTP:mlooney_at_...]
Subject: Re: [Epic] marine chapters (was: Orks with LandRaiders)

Erik K. Rutins wrote:

> > > TC: "Fire! Gunner you have the turrent I'm on the .50 Cal."
> > > Does this mean he's on top, in the open, manning a
machine gun?
> > > Is there infantry around, or what? I can't imagine
even a .50 cal
> > > would do anything against a BMP, would it?

> > I belive, but could be wrong that the M2 .50cal can be fired from
under
> > armor on a M1A1 MBT.

> NOTE: MadMac says it can't be fired that way. Go with what he
said.
> With out looking at my books I assumed it had the same sort of mini
> turret that the M60A3 had. I grabbed my "Janes TANK Recognition
Guide
> (1996 version) and sure enough, no mini turret on top... Damn, I
hate it
when I do that...

MadMac Clarifies:
Actually the .50 Cal can be fired while buttened up, you just can't
hit anything.
The MG is rotated with a manual crank and you fire by pulling a cord
attached
to the toggels. All this while the gunner is rotating the turrent
where he wants it.

I talked to some folks that "went over the burm" in Saudi. (handy to
have ready
sources). They drove open hatch until contact and then fought
buttened up.

Looney?
> > I KNOW that a .50 cal will penetrate a BMP at least on the side.
> This I can back up from seeing a dead BMP at Ft. Bliss with LOTS of
.50
> holes in from where the 3rd herd got happy on it.

MadMac on targets:
OK with me, I wasn't sure. Remember an old hulk of a BMP 1 that has
been
pounded on for 20 years from short range is going to have weaker
armor
than a BMP 3 right off the assembly line. Could be.

MadMac