Re: [Epic] History after 1800,s (off topic and long)

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:09:50 PDT

You wrote :

(...)

>> In Great Britain, during this last week and after the death of
>> princess Diana at Paris, we watched a lot of reports at TV where
>> some
>> English people accused the FRENCH photographers (not all the
>> photographers) then France (!!!) to have killed their princess...
>
>TV Cinq?

TV Cinq? What are you talking about?

>Funny, because neither Sky nor ITV nor BBC has such
>comments
>(at least, not in any programs that reached here). Frankly, the
>public
>grief is so deeply felt that blaming any Nation would be ... tacky.
>Unworthy. Irrelevant.

Yes, they didn't as I don't think that a lot of English people said
this to the TV reporters but I believe that it is a good example of
the anti-French behaviour in England.
Of course, it's stupid to accuse a nation of Princess Diana death.

>TV5 on the other hand appears to be in an orgy of finger-pointing >and
>witch-hunting. At least, that's what my limited command of Francais
>tells me (there are no subtitles).

>> I hope that one day there will a Federal European Union as the
>>United
>> States or Canada where all our countries will be in peace and will
>> forget the past...
>
>The two are incompatible, mon Cher. Forgetting the past means we
>make
>the same mistakes again.

You are haggling there... :)

>> It's finished, you can stop crying... ;o)
>
>Merci. :)
>

>> Napoleon is great dilemma for our historians...
>
>> There were a lot of good things about Napoleon and a lot of bad
>> things. It's ridiculous to compare him to Hitler (there was no
>> genocide during the Empire), he only had means to conquer Europe
>>when
>> all the other countries couldn't (but wanted to).
>
>I must respectfully disagree. Considering what happened in Spain, a
>comparison with Hitler is apt. What Hitler did in the Ukraine,
>Napoleon
>did in Spain.

I can't disagree but can you speak about genocide during the Empire?
One of the greatest horror of Hitler was the extermination of the
Jewish and Tzigane people. Napoleon didn't order such a thing.

> Sending "Hit Squads" to foreign lands to kill exiled
>political opponents was another invention of his. (OK, the Romans
>did it
>all the time, but it was Buonaparte who revived the custom after
>2000
>years..).
>The man was a ruthless revolutionary, who betrayed the Revolution
>and
>shot most of his political rivals, a model followed by Josef
>Vissarionich Dzugashvili.

>He also invented a sweeping reform of the legal system, one with
>many
>good points, and provided the inspiration for a United Europe.
>
>It would be interesting to find out what Historians will say about
>Hitler in the year 2120. Will he be remembered for Auschwitz or
>Autobahns?

I hope they won't forget...

>As for a Tactician? Very Good, one of the best the world has ever
>seen.
>And almost as brilliant a Strategist. The Napoleonic Division and
>Corps
>organisation is still followed today.

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

                  Lord's Home Page
              Space Marine and Epic 40k
                Last Update : 09/10/97

  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/