Re: [Epic] Detahcments

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:34:14 -0700

At 01:58 PM 9/11/97 +0930, you wrote:
>In a post I sent this morning I had a detachment consisting of 6
>LandRaiders and 6 Attack bikes.
>
>After I sent the message I realised that just losing the bikes would put
>the detachment at half strength. Added to this, I was going to use the
>bikes as a fast attack force for early disruption with LandRaiders doing
>the majority of the damage.
>
>This means I lose the bikes (likely, in fact they are there for that
>purpose) and I lose the morale. What I might do is replace them with 3 Land
>Speeders.
>
>Any thoughts?
>Chris Pinson

        <snip Mr. Pinson's address>

        One nice thing about a detachment being reduced to half strength (okay,
the only nice thing I can think of...) is that an opponent tends to ignore
the detachment afterwards. That means that you can go ahead and push that
bad position, mister! Go for broke!

        Of course, since there is such a HUGE difference in what an attack bike
costs and what a land raider costs, the morale loss is disproportionate.
OTOH, if you did this deliberately, against a known (i.e., predictable)
opponent, you might be able to sneak 6 land raiders around his flank,
relatively unmolested. If your opponent finishes them off, that means he
isn't shooting at your UNbroken detachments.

        Just ignore the cloud; mine the silver lining...

Nickles