Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 20:07:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Mark A Shieh wrote:

> Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte <eug_at_...> writes:
> > The citadel journal has published excellent rules for knights;
>
> Which means that for the majority of people and for all
> tournaments, usable knight rules don't exist. CJ is a magazine that
> prints house rules. If they cared at all, it would be a WD article at
> the very least, and in the actual rule books otherwise.

big agree here.

> > I am not sure what these 'hundred other units' are that were abandoned by E40k.
>
> Nope, not a hundred. But some of the MIA off the top of my
> head are

<<snip units that got the shaft>>

> Ork Mekboy Gargant
> Wierdboy Battle Tower (but I'm actually glad in this case)
> Ork tanks

normally I go into full Rant mode on how bad the Orks got screwed
over, but instead, let me blow off a little steam

Dragstas/Kustom Kannons/WB Towers/Madboyz/GutBuster Ball rounds/
Snappers/SAG/Gargant troop transport/Deathrollers/WB Towers/Clans
Dragstas/Kustom Kannons/WB Towers/Madboyz/GutBuster Ball rounds/
Snappers/SAG/Gargant troop transport/Deathrollers/WB Towers/Clans
Dragstas/Kustom Kannons/WB Towers/Madboyz/GutBuster Ball rounds/
Snappers/SAG/Gargant troop transport/Deathrollers/WB Towers/Clans

<<Whew!>>

I feel much better now.

> > The other alleged missing units are not missing at all, they are
> > just treated identically to other, very similar units. I don't
> > regret this at all;
>
> I regret this quite a bit. Why did the Orks lose so many tank
> types, while the Space Wolves and the Imperial Fists have Tac marines
> that are so different? This lacks consistency.

agree.
to save space, just reread my previous posts on this about 2 months ago

> > I liked SM/TL a lot, but it didn't take me long to decide that E40k was a
> > significant improvement in many ways.
>
> Can't argue here. It fixed a few dozen problems, and has a
> few dozen new problems. But I'm wary of calling it better, and you
> seem to be as well.

I was glad when I heard that there would be no seperate boxes
like renegades or warlords. The box set was going to be it.

The E40K ruleset is nice(even with the missing units)but suffer
from a terrible layout, with stuff scattered between 3 books
why not one book? why the small size?
does play somewhat faster than SM did with new players.

The biggest thing that I thought was fixed, was "Rules Creep"

sadly, E40k now suffers from this(the new Marine stuff from WD)

with SM/TL, each race would wait for its annual cheeze fest in WD
for new units, new rules that just didn't mesh with the original
rules.

yuck.

Now its starting with E40K

yuck.