Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 22:09:39 -0500

> Andy Skinner wrote:
>
> > I think the smallest change from official rules that I could stand
> > would be to have each firing barrage place a template, and they
> > can't overlap unless the detachment is already covered with templates.
> > That still has units in front getting shot, but at least, with
> > larger numbers of templates, you are getting a better measure of
> > unit density.

It all depends upon what you are shelling. Remember that barrage templates
are no longer supposed to mark the point where a big cluster of shells
hits the ground. When you fire barrage you are supposed to be shelling
the entire detatchment over the course of the entire turn.

If you are shelling a moving detatchment, and the rearmost three units
are still clustered in the narrow pass that the datatchment just came
through, then placing a single tamplate is probably more representative.
The entire detatchment marched through that pass, and the artillary
no doubt shelled the pass throughout the entire course of the turn.

Even with troops moving in the open I'm happy using a single template.
Groups moving tend to have clumps that form and disperse over the course
of their travel. Placing a single template will probably give a
better representation of what shelling would have done to the
datachment, as opposed to being able to place only one of many
templates upon the final clump in the datachments final configuration.

Where you really run into trouble is when you are firing barrage at
a detatchment that has set overwatch and doesn't move at all. In this
case, a single tamplate can give a very distorted view of unit
density.

Overall, though, I'm very happy using the official rules for barrage.
It's quick and it's clean. More importantly, it really encourages
the opponent to spread out rather than clumping up behind key
units of cover. (Which is the effect I took artillary for in the
first place.)

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.