[Epic] Putting the fun back in war (was: Happy weapons)

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 12:58:41 -0700 (PDT)

> > >What do you mean with "not a happy weapon" ? Don't think that there
> > >are happy weapons around. (Apart, maybe, the Bubble Chukka)
> >
> > Well... there are weapons that are meant to kill and then there are weapons
> > meant to maim and cause terror. Someone once developed a round that was
> > packed with shards of glass so that it might not kill but the doctor trying
> > to pick out the pieces will have a very hard time and the patient will be
> > in severe agony in the meantime. (ugly sentence)
> >
> > That Chuk Guy
> >
> I think that it's one (or several) of the Geneva Conventions which bans
> all sorts of nasties such as the glass-filled rounds. IIRC when it
> comes to infantry weapons, self-propelled rounds - where the bullet
> contains a propellant to speed it on its way - and rounds which contain
> an explosive tip are both banned. So next time you're l;osing to
> marines, just point out that the opponent's troops areusing illegal
> weapons in order to gain an unfair advantage :)

I remember seeing a documentary about such weapons. They have also banned
microwave and laser weaponary. The latter is used to fire into the eyes
of troops and blind them. Remember the saying "It's all fun and games
until someone loses an eye"? I guess they are trying to put the fun back
in war.
Steve

--
When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of