[Epic] Happy Weapons (was Tank Armor)

From: Richard Dewsbery <dewsbery_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 13:54:49 +0100

> At 02:41 PM 9/11/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >> That would be a HESH (high explosive squash head) round. Designed to
> >> kill/maim/fold/spindle the occupants or equipment inside the vehicle rather
> >> than penetrate. Not a happy weapon.
> >>
> >What do you mean with "not a happy weapon" ? Don't think that there
> >are happy weapons around. (Apart, maybe, the Bubble Chukka)
>
> Well... there are weapons that are meant to kill and then there are weapons
> meant to maim and cause terror. Someone once developed a round that was
> packed with shards of glass so that it might not kill but the doctor trying
> to pick out the pieces will have a very hard time and the patient will be
> in severe agony in the meantime. (ugly sentence)
>
> That Chuk Guy

I think that it's one (or several) of the Geneva Conventions which bans
all sorts of nasties such as the glass-filled rounds. IIRC when it
comes to infantry weapons, self-propelled rounds - where the bullet
contains a propellant to speed it on its way - and rounds which contain
an explosive tip are both banned. So next time you're l;osing to
marines, just point out that the opponent's troops areusing illegal
weapons in order to gain an unfair advantage :)

Richard