Re: [Epic] Imperial detatchments

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:38:53 -0500

> Anyone out there got any Imperial detatchments that seem to work well on the
> battlefield? Or any good anti-Eldar tactics?
>
> HornedRat

The "core" of my Imperial army for my last ten games looks about like this:

IG Infantry Detachment
   1 HQ + Captain + Psyker
   3 Tac Sqds + Commissar

   1 Deathstrike
   2 Support Weapons

IG Infantry Detachment
   (same as above)

IG Armor Detachment
   6 Leman Russ (+HQ cost)
   2 Hellhound tanks

IG Armor Detachment
   (same as above)

Space Marine Detachment
   1 Librarian HQ
   1 Terminator
   9 Tac Sqds
   (Deploy in drop pods)

Yes, that's a lot of Commissars. My troops have a 3+ armor; get over it.

Around this core I will hang combinations of the following, depending upon
my opponent and points total.

1 Warlord (Mega Cannon, Death Ray, HWB, CCW)

2 Warhounds

IG Arty Detachment
    6 Basilisk

IG Flyer Detachment
    3 Thunderbolt

IG Flyer Detachment
    3 Marauder

IG SHV Detachment
    2 Baneblade
    2 Stormhammer

I am 3-1 against the Eldar. This sounds impressive, but I think a lot of
my success is that my Eldar opponents still try to play the way they
did in the pre-TL days.

Mobility belongs to the Eldar. Don't try to outmaneuver them; you can't.
Instead, keep your detachments placed so that they may support one another
against the impending flanking manuever.

Inevitably, I find that my Eldar opponents try to run round one of my
flanks and smash into my tanks or artillary with his jetbikes (and his
superior number of psykers...) Often the entire battle seems to
hinge upon the success of this flanking manuever. Concentrate fire
upon his bikes when the attack is impending. Leman Russ are
very manueverable, and their 25cm should redeploy them from your center
to within firing range of the threatening bikes. Tank fire, artillary
fire, and a Mega Cannon from your titan should be able to grant you
4 to 5 blast markers in the firing phase; hopefully keeping the
bikes from moving in the assault phase. If your Leman Russ were
on assault orders then you can even follow this up with a firefight
in which they will have a greater number of blast markers.

With the great mobility of your tanks you may be tempted to race them
ahead of your infantry to exploit a perceived weak point in the Eldar
line. DON'T!! Eldar can mass prodigous numbers of anti-tank shots.
Also, given their superior mobility, the WILL be able to isolate and
destroy any datachment which greatly seperates itself from the rest
of your army.

I use my marines for two purposes.
   1) To fill disasterous holes that have suddenly appeared in my lines;
      especially in a threatened flank. This is not a good use for
      the marines, and when you are forced to use them in this fashion
      it is a sure sign that you are in trouble. Pull it together
      soldier!

   2) To protect my tanks. How, you might ask? The turn that you
      drop your pods is an ideal time to advance your tanks into that
      vital spot. If he concentrates upon your Marines, your tanks
      can still fire this turn and will survive to set overwatch next
      turn. The marines will also weather the fire better than your
      tanks could due to their numerical superiority. If, on the
      other hand, he concentrates upon your tanks then its just as
      good. He really doesn't want to see what 40 firepower with
      re-rolls can do to his detachment.

10 Falcons on overwatch and out of LOS can erase large chunks of your
army every turn. I usually try to use (2) above, on the same turn my
tanks redeploy to get LOS on the Falcons. (Don't be afraid to use
assault orders for more mobility on this turn if you have to.)

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.