[Epic] Diminishing background and STC discoveries (was Re:Medics)

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

> Really, with 400th century meditech, I wouldn't be surprised if he could
> clone you on the spot from the scent molecules of your aftershave...

Once again someone falls prey to the diminishing amount of background
material available to us. The Imperium has just emerged from a
technological dark age induced by a whole bunhch o' reasons (the main one
having to do with the creation of the eye of terror IIRC). As such,
mankind is relearning everything it has already discovered. An example of
this is GWs justification for releasing each Rhino variant with a little
bit of background fluff in chronological order with it's release, the
reason; Tech priests scouring newly found planets discover ancient human
ruins and amongst them find new Standard Template Construct (STC) plan
variants. The Rhino was found as a master on Terra, then, ,all over the
galaxy STCs were found for Rhino variants, the whirlwind, the sabre, the
predator, the vindicator, the predator,...
Because of this, the Imperium's technological advances are primarily in
the form of Archeological studies (Look at the Archeotech in Necromunda).
Steve

--
When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of