Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte <eug_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:04:11 -0700

Mark A Shieh wrote: > > Wow... I'm impressed. I have to say, though, that about half
the

> > > weapons in SM/TL seemed underpowered...
>
> True, and complete agreement. But unlike the Eldar selection,
> this still left you with over a dozen decent weapons to pick from,
> plus (grr) one-shots.

Yup, but the pulsars are good enough to make up for all that, if you can get over the
guilt mounting two of them on a single Titan causes (actually, my opponents never
seemed to feel this... not that I minded; I was playing Tyranids at the time -
"FZAAAP! Kaboom!! Let's see, that's 5vp doubled...")

Actually, it is much more fun to have several balanced weapons; but one can usually
make due with one _unbalanced_ (kinda) weapon.

> > Well, with your comment and Sauron's request to see my stuff, I think
> > it's getting dusted off, polished up a little, and put onto the web.
> > (For one thing, I should probably explain where some of the names came
> > from....)
>
> You should put it up without explaining the references first.
> I remember last year you put up the Titan names and people started
> guessing where they came from. Some were trivially easy (Do you have
> Excalibur? I forget.), and some were a real PITA and even I could
> only guess because I figured that the original name wasn't in English.

I'm starting to get curious.

> > > I honestly think that your army would work great in E40k - I find
> > > that Titans working in groups are very difficult to stop.
>
> His army didn't look all that effective before (Titans' weak
> point was CC, it's not as bad any more), and does now. But now he's
> fielding four troop types. Before, each individual Titan had a very
> distinct personality based on the loadout, which was based on themes.
> Except the Imperators, of course. :) Those were fixed loadout before
> E40k. It always seemed odd to me that the biggest Titans had no
> options.

Well, I certainly wouldn't have objected if an opponent had wanted to mount two PA's
or two HB's on a single Imperator, but somehow the combinations just don't seem that
appealing. The thing was, the Imp's weapon's were so nicely matched it would be hard
to improve on it, without inventing some sort of short ranged Ultra-Melta or a
Moderately-Ranged Combat Weapon ('cuz the Imperator has impressive reach).

> > > You might be surprised how much
> > > variety can be achieved using the available Titan weapons,
>
> You can still customize for medium-range bombardment, or FF/CC,
> but that seems to be about it these days.

Or Titan-Killing, or long-range explosions, but yes, I see your point. I guess the
thing with me is that, if I spend a bit of time on background things, it doesn't
really require massive differences in game mechanics to get me excited about
individual units. And although of course Aaron's suggestions about variably ranged
Titan weapons aren't official or anything, I have never had much difficulty in
persuading my opponents to try out things like that.

> Mark

  Eugene