Re: [Epic] Couple Questions

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 01:35:55 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 16-Sep-97 Re: [Epic] Couple Questions by E.
Earnshaw-Whyte_at_planet
> Yup, but the pulsars are good enough to make up for all that, if you can get
> over the guilt mounting two of them on a single Titan causes (actually, my
> opponents never seemed to feel this... not that I minded; I was playing
> Tyranids at the time - "FZAAAP! Kaboom!! Let's see, that's 5vp doubled...")

<wince>

> Actually, it is much more fun to have several balanced weapons; but one can
> usually make due with one _unbalanced_ (kinda) weapon.

Well, my group managed to work Mark over to our POV pretty well, so he
doesn't have many twin pulsar Titans. Plus he has a couple of *very*
nice conversions, including one Titan with a power fist that's holding a
*large* spear in it's hand, and has a heat lance as the other weapon.
Charge in close, zap void shields with the lasers on the glove & wings,
then *zot*! (Well, that's the theory, I don't think Mark has fielded
his Titans that often. Facing Squats or three detachments of Cannon of
Khorne will do that to an Eldar player....)

> > > Well, with your comment and Sauron's request to see my stuff, I think
> > > it's getting dusted off, polished up a little, and put onto the web.
> > > (For one thing, I should probably explain where some of the names came
> > > from....)
> >
> > You should put it up without explaining the references first.
> > I remember last year you put up the Titan names and people started
> > guessing where they came from. Some were trivially easy (Do you have
> > Excalibur? I forget.), and some were a real PITA and even I could
> > only guess because I figured that the original name wasn't in English.
>
> I'm starting to get curious.

<grin>

Alrighty, people, the basic text of my Titan Legion is now up on the web!

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~at2u/shawk.html

It's also available off my standard Epic page. Enjoy, and send in those
guesses!!! ^_^

[Imperators have no options]
> Well, I certainly wouldn't have objected if an opponent had wanted to mount
> two PA's or two HB's on a single Imperator, but somehow the
combinations just > don't seem that appealing. The thing was, the Imp's
weapon's were so nicely
> matched it would be hard to improve on it, without inventing some sort of
> short ranged Ultra-Melta or a Moderately-Ranged Combat Weapon ('cuz the
> Imperator has impressive reach).

Actually, I've been toying with the idea of a Very Large Power Sword as
an option on Terminus Est, but it's still in the works. Probably needs
one green counter to "warm up" for a turn, then a red counter to power.
It'd be attached under the Hellstorm Cannon, which could not be fired
while the sword was powered up (ie, red). If you ever just dropped the
power to zero on the sword, it would have to spend a turn on green to
warm up again.

Combat effect: not sure. Might give an attack like the Wrecker,
actually, but may strike d3 adjacent squares on a Titan as well (kinda
like a lasburner). Both seem appropriate, and given the two plasma
counters required to use the thing I'm not sure they're unwarrented. In
Epic 40K, it would likely just double the CAF of the Imperator while
rendering the heavy barrages unusable (that is, you can't use both in
the same turn). I really don't think the Tyranid ripper tentacles
should stop it, but that might be getting into the special rules a
little too much. (That's a *lot* of force behind that blow, though....)

> > You can still customize for medium-range bombardment, or FF/CC,
> > but that seems to be about it these days.
>
> Or Titan-Killing, or long-range explosions,

Long range?!? But you can only get out to 60 cm!!!!!

>but yes, I see your point. I guess the thing with me is that, if I
spend a bit > of time on background things, it doesn't really require
massive differences
> in game mechanics to get me excited about individual units.

I guess I just spent a bit *too* much time on this stuff, really, and
the game mechanics just chaged a bit too drastically.

>And although of
> course Aaron's suggestions about variably ranged Titan weapons aren't
> official or anything, I have never had much difficulty in persuading my
> opponents to try out things like that.

^_^ Cool, I'll have to dig out my stuff.
(Homework? What's homework?)
Actually, seeing as I *do* have two assignments due on Thursday, don't
expect much 'till Friday at least....

Later,

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...