[Epic] Orks Kick Butt!

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 00:24:16 -0500

A lot of the mail we've seen lately seems to be lamenting the many losses
suffered by the Orks during the changeover from SM/TL to E40K. I would
suggest that Ork commanders take heart!

Typically I play an Imperial army, and I have foundt he Orks to be the
most difficult official army for me to beat so far. (Squats are the
most difficult army if you include the unofficial ones, but I'm hoping
that their Airships and Goliaths get toned down by the time
they are official.)

Why do I have trouble with them?

1) In a 2,000 point fight a Mega-Gargant is more than capable of walking
up to my entire army and grinding it to dust. Letely, I've been taking
to including three Deathstrike missle in my army and using them well
before we close range in order to strip away the Gargants shileds. Yes, it's
tempting to save thise Dstrikes 'til after you've dropped the Mega's shields.
 By the time you've gotten close enough to do so however, the Mega is capable
of shattering your army before you finish the job.

2) Using the Kult of Speed, the Orks are capable of fielding numerous
Death-Rays.... on *vehicles*!! (Note how these get to fire long before
your unshielded Stormhammers/Baneblades)

3) Nobz are numerous. Nobz have saves. Nobz don't seem to like me.

4) Orks kick arse when it comes to winning iniative.

5) Boarboyz are tricksy creatures that use mean, nasty tactics. That Warboss
   Boarboy really shouldn't have a 30 cm range.

6) Have you faced Stompas???!!!! We'll shoot them..... um, I mean
   we'll firefight them.... um, I mean we'll assault them.... um,
   I mean <squish!>.

7) The Ork armies that have used all of the above to crush me have done
   so without smelling even the *slightest* like cheddar. How is an
   Imperial commander supposed to face defeat without the ready excuse,
   "My opponent played cheesey?" (HEY!! What the H - E double hockey-sticks
   is up with those gits in the CJ using the word "beardy" when they
   mean to say "cheesey?" Like, just because I wear a neatly-trimmed
   beard -- a sign of superior breeding -- I'm supposed to be more
   cheesey than my opponent??!!)

Anyway, I find the Orks to be challenging, and I look forward to facing them
again.

For those of you keeping score at home, my record in Epic 40K:

 My Imperials vs. Eldar 3-1 (They just need to adjust)
               vs. Tyranids 1-0 (Hah! stomped 'em!)
               vs. Chaos 1-1 (Mirror images)
               vs. Orks 1-2 (Very challenging!)
               vs. Squats 0-2 (I don't want to talk about it....)

A perfect record of 50 percent!! (And I'll be very disappointed if it
ever gets very above or below.)

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.