Re: [Epic]Orky Flavoured E40K [Long]

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:29:39 -0700

Erik K. Rutins wrote:

> Another fantastic post!

My thanks.

> I'll try to make a few intelligent comments

Even more thanks, this is what I'm after.

> > Medic - Cost 10 - add +1 to Die Roll for BM Removal
>
> What Imperial detachments can buy this option? Just Space Marines, or
> IG as well. This must be designated as a model on a stand, right - so
> if the stand goes, so does the ability...

Correct.

> So I could make a Space Marine Captain stand that cost 80 points, gave
> me a d6 to roll for blast markers, a +1 for leadership tests and a save
> on my command land raider. Hehehe. All in all it seems flavourful and
> balanced given that I just have to fail one save to lose those 80 points
> and neat abilities. Might foster spreading the chaplain, techmarine,
> etc. around the detachment to prevent a one shot loss of the entire
> command staff.

Again, correct.

> > ForceField - Cost 50 - add a BM to any enemy detachment when any of >
>
> Perhaps you could explain - how does a forcefield add a BM to an enemy
> unit? I would think that it might add an additional +1 or +2 to blast
> marker removal, or give a single unit an extra save per turn. Perhaps
> I'm thinking of the wrong kind of force field.

This is designed for use by old-style Wave Serpents and Trygons. Both of
which have a "Force Field" in front of them that pushes aside/ inflicts
hits on any enemy they run into. In SM2 it's also fireable over a
distance, but this was rather too effective for my liking.

> > Goffic Rockers as Boyz + Chaplain
>
> Are you serious? A mobile Ork rock band that boosts morale? This
> sounds fun.

Deadly serious :) A quote from "Ere We Go"
 GOFFIC ROK BAND: All Orks enjoy loud noises - loud bangs and crashes
stimulate the Ork's brain causing great exhilaration and excitement.
Goffs are especially keen on loud noise - perhaps the constant
head-butting contests affect their minds and give them an uncontrollable
appetite for noise. The Goffik Rok Band consist of there Orks who carry
threateningly loud Rok Guitars which they play to accompany the march of
the Retinue. Their loud music getas any Goffs nearby really excited and
worked-up. Any Goff within 12" of a Goffik Rok Band can fire twice a
turn if you want, although their accuracy is impaired by their manic
enthusiasm if they do this - so deduct -1 from each die roll to hit."

The mechanism is totally different, but I feel Chaplain ability is more
in accordance with the fluff than any special rules for increased FP.
Similarly, the restriction of "any Goff" is removed in the interests of
simplicity.

> > MadBoyz 10 D3-1 30 D3 4+ Save
>
> I like the representation here, given what I've heard of madboyz. 0-2
> FP, 1-3 assault.

Exactly.

> > OrkGenestealers 10 1 30 4 4+
>
> Uh... what? Okay, maybe that wasn't an intelligent comment. Why do Ork
> GeneStealers, whatever they exactly are, belong in the Ork army list?

Another quote, this time from "Freebooterz"
"Orks are not an ideal host race for Genestealers and eventually any
Genestealers who infect them will realise that the Orks are a dead end
as far as the prospects for furthering the Genestealer species is
concerned. Ork society is not structured like Human society and the
sophisticated techniques for infiltration around a secure power base
will not neccessarily work. Sometimes Genestealers find they must infect
Orks simply because no better hosts are available.....
Sometimes, albeit rarely, a Genestealer-Ork hybrid brood grows and
prospers.....
A brood that does begin to thrive, and has sufficient technology to be
of use to a Patriarch in spreading the gene further into the universe,
is also likely to make contact with other Orks. When surrounding tribes
notice there is 'sumfink wrong' with the brood tribe, that they are 'not
proper Orkses' and have been 'taken over by da Bug-Eyez', they will
probably wipe them out pretty quickly. Thus prospects are bleak for an
Ork-Genestealer hybrid brood....
Occasionally Hybrid bands are encountered wandering on the fringes of
Ork society wondering what they can do about their predicament. This Mob
[ of Freebooterz ]represents just such a group, who might be recruited
by a Warboss of exceptional low cunning to unleash against his most
bitter enemy."

Thus this small group represents some outcasts who are not part of the
normal list, but can be hired as supports. Very similar to Pirate
Gretch, Da Dreadmob, and all the other Freebooterz.

> > Shokk AttackGun 10 1 90 0 4+
>
> This would have to be playtested, it might be better to make it 60cm.
> In the context of Volcano Cannons being only 60cm and all - only the
> Ordinatus and Deathstrikes get this kind of range.

And IG artillery. In SM2, the range was UNLIMITED. Effectively, they
outranged everything except Vortex Missiles and Eldar Doomweavers. A
range of 60cm also means they're overcosted. Still, if due to
playtesting this range appears unbalanced, by all means cut down the
range!

> > Possessed Wdboy 10 1 30 4 4+ Save,Psyker
>
> As in 'possessed by warp creature', 'possessed by Gork', what?

Possessed by a Warp Entity. From "Freebooterz":
"Occasionally Weirdboy Warpheads (who have become addicted to the warp
and reckless in the use of their psychic powers) become possessed by
daemons. This happens because the Weirdboyacts as a natural conduit for
warp energy when he uses his power and a daemon can be sucked into him
from the warp together with pure warp energy. However this does not
result in daemonic possession of the same kind as would occur in a Human
psyker. The Ork personality and soul are more robust and resistant. Orks
are resolute and self-knowing and there is almost no weakness in their
mind for a daemon to exploit in order to manipulate the host. The daemon
is therefore unable to take control and is effectively imprisoned within
the Weirdboy with ther result that the Weirdboy becomes greatly
enhanced. The cost to the Weirdboy is a form of mania in which he
appears to be constantly arguing with himself while hsi mind disputes
with the daemonic prisoner within him. The result is a confused Weirdboy
almost ecstatic with power, sharing his body with a daemon who is very
disenchanted with the situation and prone to outbursts of frustrated
wailing.....
Like other Warpheadz the Possessed Weirdboy does not need Minderz
because he actually enjoys using his powers, but unlike ordinary
Warpheadz he has no Madboy followers. This is because the Madboyz, in
their intuitively accurate way, recognise the daemonic presence in the
Warphead and avoid him. Being less psychically inclined, Gretchin and
Snotlings are quite willing to serve the Warphead and soon become used
to his endless conversations with himself, inexplicable poltergeist
activity, and occasional outbursts of daemonic wailing."

I decided to make the effect being a cross between an Ork Psyker and a
Daemon. The model should consist of 1 Ork Werdboy WITHOUT a staff, plus
a few attendant Gretchin.

> This seems like a reasonable differentiation. Don't see any reason why
> it wouldn't work. I don't follow the Transport(3) choice though. First
> off, why change the 'hitching a lift' rule? Second, 2 would seem
> reasonable based on the size of battlewagons. 3 seems a bit much,
> particularly given that only one stand can hitch a lift. OTOH, I
> haven't seen the model you mention.

Transports(3) in this case means up to 3 Ork units can hitch. In SM2, 3
Ork units could ride in a single battlewagon, which also had the
firepower of an Ork unit. In WH40K, originally you could transport as
many orks and gretchin as would physically fit on top of the thing,
hanging off etc.
I decided that if you had 3 groups, then no armament. If 2 groups, you
had some (minor) armament, equivt to an Ork Boyz unit. And if one group,
then in the interests of sanity, make it a standard Battlewagon.

> > Cyber Wyverns -as Fighta-Bommas
>
> I would think perhaps a bit lower on the intercept and a bit higher on
> the gunnery - 2/3? They can't be faster than a jet fighter...

Could be. This is one thrown in at the last moment. I'd include any
Snakebite Flier (eg the Fiendish Ork Fokker made by Irregular
Miniatures) in the same category.

> > Speed Armour HoloField Damage Assault Specials
> > 25 5 2+ Save 6 12
>
> Holo-Field? Sheesh, what else do ya want? ;-) How did this work in 2nd
> Ed? Would the Orks really have a holo-field as good as the eldar one?
> If so, why don't they use it elsewhere?

In 2nd edition, this field acted like this (From Titan Legions Rule
Book):
KUSTOM FORCE FIELD
"Most Gargants are protected by banks of power field generators, but the
Mekboy Gargant has a single potent kustom force field generator instead.
The kustom force field is a masterpiece of technology, forming an
impenatrable dome of force over the Mekboy Gargant, making it (almost)
totally invulnerable to incoming fire. Unfortunately the field generator
tends to overheat quickly and even blow up with spectacular results!...
As long as the kustom force field is operational it will stop all
incoming fire which doesn't bypass the field....
The only waekness of the force field is that it tends to flicker on and
off occasionally because of the fluctuating power levels. If a Mekboy
Gargant is hit, roll a D6 for each hit. On a roll of 6 the shot
penetrates the field in the fraction of a second that it flickered off."
Holowhatsit. But the effect is identical. With Eldar Titans, you can't
see them, so most shots miss. With Mekboy Gargants, you can see them,
but most shots just bounce off. The "Overheating" situation is
adequately modelled by the "take an automatic critical when hit" bit.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo