Re: [Epic] [E40K] Seeking Space Marine wisdom...

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:33:22 -0700

>ASSAULT SQUADS - The movement rate on these is too slow for vehicles and
>still much faster than Tac Marines. Do you use them in homogenous
>detachments?

        That is the best way to take advantage of their movement. I like to take
a small number of assault units in detachments that have other duties to
brace for an incoming charge.

>SCOUTS - I'm really not seeing the value of Infiltration yet. They can be
>far from HQ and vulnerable to getting killed...and what else?

        We had a large debate on the cheesiness of certain things that scouts can
do which, though legal, might seem illogical. Like using transports on the
first turn, hopping out, and moving with an additional 30cm. This gives
these units the largest move of non-flyers in the first turn. DISCUSS THIS
WITH YOUR OPPONENT. It is legal under the current E40K rules, but if you or
your opponent don't see the rationale which justifies this, it is easier to
just let it go.
        They are useful in slowing the enemy's advance, and they generally don't
cost that much more than the basic troop they are most closely related to.
(I like these guys...)

>SUPPORT WEAPONS - Actually, I just want to point out that they haven't
>done these even though they claim to have released all SM figures.

        Most useful against opponents with large numbers (Orks & 'Nids), they can
still pin units with fast movement. Vypers and Jetbikes got you down? Pile
on the blast markers, and they will have a hard time getting to you. AT
shots are, well, best used against tanks. (I can't believe I just wrote
that...)
        Be aware that these units will likely be targets for enemy units with high
mobility. Keeping them to your rear is not always the best tactic,
particularly against SMs with those pesky drop pods/Thunderhawks. The goal
is to keep them out of range of your opponent, not necessarily to the rear.

>LAND RAIDERS - Another unit with an inconvenient speed. Do you mix them
>with other vehicles much? It would seem to slow the others down
>unnecessarily. One guy mentioned a unit of 5 LRs and 3 Predators; I'm not
>sure how the Preds compliment the LRs.

        These can be VERY useful if your opponent has a penchant for Titans or
SHVs.Put them in four or five detachments of two or three units each. This
keeps the AT shots coming and makes it hard to pin them down.

>VINDICATORS - Gotta love 'em. I mainly wonder whether people put them in
>'assault detachments' or use them for support in a variety of detachments.

        'nuff said on this topic.

>BIKES & 'SPEEDERS - Again, what do you mix these with? Attack Bikes slow
>down Bikes; most vehicles slow Bikes and 'Speeders; Bikes can't 'skim' and
>so make 'Speeders less mobile. Should these be used in homogenous
>detachments?
>
>DREADNOUGHTS - These seem great, but they're damn slow and you can't put
>them in transports. Are there any non-defensize uses for these?

        Only if you are using an unsupported detachment of infantry.(Don't try
this at home!)

>THUNDERHAWKS - I get this. I was wondering what people transport in them.
>I was thinking of having two and transporting Librarian, 2-4 Terminators,
>3-5 Tac Squads and 4 Devastator squads. They could hold objectives pretty
>well and rack up a lot of Firepower on OW (24).
>
>Any advice is appreciated.
>
>Max
>
>"Run, humans! Run for your sweaty lives! Run till you hearts burst and
>your lungs collapse! You cannot run away from ME! Everything that is,
>IS MINE!" --the dread Dormammu, Doctor Strange #9

        Inserts by:

Nickles