Re: [Epic] [E40K] Seeking Space Marine wisdom...

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 00:29:47 PDT

You wrote :

>Well I've played many wargames in my day, but after playing a couple
>games
>of Epic 40000 I've come to realize I don't know much about
>detachments.
>With the ability to mix such radical varieties of units the
>strategies
>seem much different than in most wargames (where like units fight
>together). So, what have you folks to say about the following troop
>types?
>
>ASSAULT SQUADS - The movement rate on these is too slow for vehicles
>and
>still much faster than Tac Marines. Do you use them in homogenous
>detachments?

You can use them in two different ways :
        - with rhinos and Vindicators, they will be fast and will
have a strong assault power!
        - whithout any vehicle but transported in Drop Pods or
Thunderhawks.

>SCOUTS - I'm really not seeing the value of Infiltration yet. They
>can be
>far from HQ and vulnerable to getting killed...and what else?
>
>SUPPORT WEAPONS - Actually, I just want to point out that they
>haven't
>done these even though they claim to have released all SM figures.
>
>LAND RAIDERS - Another unit with an inconvenient speed. Do you mix
>them
>with other vehicles much? It would seem to slow the others down
>unnecessarily. One guy mentioned a unit of 5 LRs and 3 Predators;
>I'm not
>sure how the Preds compliment the LRs.

I don't use a Land Raider detachment type... I think that Land Raiders
are very good as support weapons for Devastators detachments.
I also use them in armoured detachment with Predators and Whirlwinds.

>VINDICATORS - Gotta love 'em. I mainly wonder whether people put
>them in
>'assault detachments' or use them for support in a variety of
>detachments.

In general, I only use them in my "assault" detachments, I use some
tactical marines to protect my Devastators and other arty units.

>BIKES & 'SPEEDERS - Again, what do you mix these with? Attack Bikes
>slow
>down Bikes; most vehicles slow Bikes and 'Speeders; Bikes can't
>'skim' and
>so make 'Speeders less mobile. Should these be used in homogenous
>detachments?

I use a detachment of 5 Attack Bikes and 2 Land Speeders, good speed
and high Fire Power! I mix the two units as I didn't buy another
attack bike blister ;)

>DREADNOUGHTS - These seem great, but they're damn slow and you can't
>put
>them in transports. Are there any non-defensize uses for these?

The figs are really cool but I did not manage to use them with
efficiency, they are to slow and my army must be very mobile...

>THUNDERHAWKS - I get this. I was wondering what people transport in
>them.
>I was thinking of having two and transporting Librarian, 2-4
>Terminators,
>3-5 Tac Squads and 4 Devastator squads. They could hold objectives
>pretty
>well and rack up a lot of Firepower on OW (24).

I would only use Thunderhawks to transport assault detachments as
Devastator units need a lot of support to be effective but your idea
seems to be good.

I hope that I helped you.

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

                  Lord's Home Page
              Space Marine and Epic 40k
                Last Update : 09/25/97

  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/