Re: [Epic] LR, Tarot deck and special rules

From: Chris White <chris_at_...>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 09:00:27 -0700

At 12:15 AM 10/2/97 PDT, you wrote:
>You wrote :
>
>(...)
>

>>> Perhaps if GW would occasionally throw a bone towards *any* other
>army this
>>> wouldn't have been so bad.
>>
>>??? Land Raiders, Special abilities for chapters, the Tarot deck...
>>These aren't aids for those Marine players who can't think? Gavin
>>just doesn't like writing about Orks, I guess. Chaos doesn't even
>>have models...
>
>I'm sorry but I can't be agree with you about Land Raiders and the
>Tarot deck.
>Land Raiders are not so powerful as you can easily destroy them in
>Assault, Firefight or by some antitank shots.
>I've played with the Tarot deck vs Eldars and I did not think that
>tha game was unbalanced, bien au contraire! My opponent did not ask
>me to stop using it and he did not think that it was unfair. Certes,
>there are special cards against specific races but you're not sure to
>get the card against your opponent. On top of that there are some
>cards from the classic deck which have disappeared in the Tarot...
>I think this deck is well balanced.

        <snip>

        Balanced or not, I think the point was (correct me if I'm wrong, whoever
said this) is that the Tarot deck, or Land Raider _are_ "special", or at
least restricted.

        Whenever new rules come out, they seem overpowered until you find a
counter-tactic. Of course, it is possible that GW makes mistakes sometimes.
(Yes, I know, hold on to your hats...)

        <snip>