[Epic] Today's Stuff

From: Neil R. Thomason <n.thomason_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:18:10 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

I was working at home for most of today, so received 100+ messages at once
when I opened my e-mail this afternoon! I'll lump all my comments into one
posting:

*******************

>> in the same article allows fliers to evacuate troops from the battle,
>> allowing them to be redeployed elsewhere on the battlefield in a
>>subsequent turn. If Hawks could be considered as fliers performing their
>>own transport missions, this rule could be applied to them too. WD (sort
>>of) suggests this though recommending that extra points should be paid,
>>since the units are far more powerful.
>
>"... could be applied to them ..." I'm sorry but this house rule was written
>specifically *for* Swooping Hawks.

No, it was specifically for Gargoyles! I could see the Gargoyle and Hawk
house rules being applied in combination, but WD doesn't say it. I agree
it's a bad idea, despite being an Eldar player!

>Did they mention how many points to pay, or is it up to our imagination?

For Gargoyles, WD suggests limiting the number of available units "in some
way" (a large hammer, perhaps?), or adding 2-3 points per unit.

Gav stresses several times in the article that these are house rules, only
to be used by prior agreement with the opponent.

>As with all things GW, the best way to a good game is moderation. >Hawks
don't get really abusive until they show up in numbers.

The army list and new rules allow for a detachment of 10 Hawk units, all
with Exarchs, but no Warlocks, Farseer or support. From memory, that's 135
points (10 x 10pts, +10 x 1pt, +25pts for command status for an Exarch
unit). Power gaming? Nah. ;)

*********************

>Does this mean you can carry 3 squads of marines, 6 dreadnoughts, 1 >squad
of marines plus a rhino or 3 rhinos??

The basic idea is to compare the models and consider what's realistic. Gav
suggests carrying vehicles 'disassembled' or slung beneath the belly of the
transport flyer. I can see some logic in Thunderhawks being fitted with a
generic clamp enabling a Rhino to be carried underneath (but not three!). I
could even stretch this to believe vehicles based on the Rhino STC could be
stripped down and carried in the Rhino clamp; eg the missile launcher taken
off a Whirlwind and carried inside the Thunderhawk.

I guess 6 Dreadnoughts would fit, but I doubt any Chapter would try it.
They're just too valuable as relics to be risked in one transport.

********************

>Funny, I spend about $25 in a number of phonecalls to the UK trying to
>get the old tarantulas, the Rapier Lascannon with the Space Marine Crew
>riding it, the Mole Mortar with the Space Marine loading it, etc. I was
>consistently told no longer in production.

GW claim that if they still have the moulds, any figures can be bought via
mail order; ie they will spin-up a set of casts for an individual customer.
I don't know whether there's a premium price; I've never tried the service.
Last time I was at the factory (sorry; I'm not just boasting; there is a
point to my mentioning it!), I noticed moulds for figures released in the
mid-eighties, so I'd be surprised if the EPIC moulds no longer exist. Not
sure about plastics, though. Is it true that the Eldar Warhost sprues no
longer include Support Platform crewmen?

>Dang, I was hoping to get some more lesser daemons, too)

The new EPIC Lesser Demons, based on the current 28 mm ones, were on show at
Games Day last Sunday, as were some of the new EPIC Imperial Guard. Also
the 28 mm scale Falcon (for UK release in November), Chaos Beastmen and
Cultists, Gorkamorka humans (Diggas), and more that I must have forgotten.

*******************
And finally:

> Neil's name sounded familiar, so I went and leafed
>through my WDs last night, and there's a picture of him holding the slayer
sword award for 1996.

Hmm. Thanks Scott, I'm trying to forget that photo.

> Pretty impressive stuff. Can't wait to see the titan
>(what kind of titan is it, anyway?).

A basic Phantom, with remodelled wings, body and legs.

Cheers,

NRT

Safety Experts Say School Bus Passengers Should Be Belted