Re: [Epic] Net Epic - Movement and Initiative

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 09:42:35 -0600

At 21:51 02/04/1997 -0800, you wrote:

> A. Units with charge orders are required to move first. The logic
>being that these units are less concerned with enemy movements than with
>either getting from point A to point B, or with getting into close combat.
>This also prevents units with advance orders from running away, then opening
>up on their would be attackers.

2 problems with this: 1) Units that want to be sneaky and quick don't have
the option. The problem is that there are 3 factors: movement, firepower
and stealth. Previously, anyone could try to be stealthy, regardless of
orders. Now, if my bikes want to move quickly and stick to cover, then they
are forced to choose speed over safety. If they're not worried about
firing, just keeping cover and moving quickly, then they should be allowed
to move after advance fire. This would be like the difference between
charging and running in 40K. But, the problem with letting close combat
troops automatically overrun advancers is . . . 2) In real combat, there is
nothing to prevent someone from firing on their enemies while they retreat.
SOP for marine mortarmen bugging out of a position is to fire HEDP rounds at
90 degrees, charge 4. This gives them about 2-3 minutes (or 4-5, I can't
remember hang times) to clear the area before that shell comes back down.
It is also SOP for any dug in position, e.g. machine guns, to have a fall
back position. So, I don't think preventing advancing units from backing up
and chewing chargers as they come is a proper goal.

Temp