Re: [Epic] Epic 30,000 Space Marine Army List Part I (LONG)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 19:28:55 -0500

Mike Bowen wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, J. Michael Looney wrote:
>

> > > for E30k, you might want to put in spartans
> > >
> > > otherwise 1LR carries 1 Termie stand(rules say 2, fluff says 1)
> > >

> > Nope, the SM-1/E30K fluff does not say that. Spartans don't appear in the
> > SM-1 at all. I think, but am not sure that they are creature of the WH40K
> > (RT) era only. I have not seen them in SM-1 stuff. If you have can you
> > point me at which WD they showed up in please?
>
> yeah, out from the old WD, pre 126. I do believe that 1st ed. WH40k can
> and should be used for background and fluff. True, the spartan was only
> built for the latter part of the heresy wars, but we ARE trying to do
> that, refight the Horus Heresy, not the earier crusades. The spartan is
> valid for this, a larger capacity troop transport. If you can't fit 10
> termies into a WH40k LR why can you do it in SM-1? anyway, once the supply
> of LR kits dried up, no one could do the spartan conversion, therefor, the
> spartan is as common as zoats.

I have most if not all of the stuff on WH40K (RT). I don't recall the Spartan.
What is it and we will go add it in, no big deal. "Pre 126" covers a lot of
ground, like 125 issues.

> > Lets not forget that we are not talking about WH40K here, we are talking
> > about Space Marine 1st ed, plus the WD articles in the range from 110 to
> > about 134.
> >

> so its ok to only use only SM-1 stuff and throw out anything related to
> WH40k? The way I see it, anything that relates to the old fluff of the
> heresy is valid, if its from the horus heresy boardgame, SM-1 or WH40k

Well, mainly because this is the Space Marine mailing list, not the WH40K mailing
list. If there is a long term rules conflict between Space Marine and WH40K,
Space Marine wins. On the WH40K list it probably would go the other way.

> The robot stuff came out first for WH40k, and then for SM-1.

Yes, robots are in RT. RT came out before SM-1. What is your point?