Re: [Epic] Epic 30,000 Space Marine Army List Part I (LONG)

From: Mike Bowen <mbowen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 16:52:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, J. Michael Looney wrote:

> > for E30k, you might want to put in spartans
> >
> > otherwise 1LR carries 1 Termie stand(rules say 2, fluff says 1)
> >

> Nope, the SM-1/E30K fluff does not say that. Spartans don't appear in the
> SM-1 at all. I think, but am not sure that they are creature of the WH40K
> (RT) era only. I have not seen them in SM-1 stuff. If you have can you
> point me at which WD they showed up in please?

yeah, out from the old WD, pre 126. I do believe that 1st ed. WH40k can
and should be used for background and fluff. True, the spartan was only
built for the latter part of the heresy wars, but we ARE trying to do
that, refight the Horus Heresy, not the earier crusades. The spartan is
valid for this, a larger capacity troop transport. If you can't fit 10
termies into a WH40k LR why can you do it in SM-1? anyway, once the supply
of LR kits dried up, no one could do the spartan conversion, therefor, the
spartan is as common as zoats.

> Lets not forget that we are not talking about WH40K here, we are talking
> about Space Marine 1st ed, plus the WD articles in the range from 110 to
> about 134.

so its ok to only use only SM-1 stuff and throw out anything related to
WH40k? The way I see it, anything that relates to the old fluff of the
heresy is valid, if its from the horus heresy boardgame, SM-1 or WH40k

The robot stuff came out first for WH40k, and then for SM-1.

WH40K wasn't without its warts, like the powerfield for vehicles rules.

so it boils down to-- which fluff do you use? did the final battle happen
in orbit on horus ship, or on earth, in a bunker?

answer? all of it. go with the majority of it, so we can say, the last
stand of horus happened on his ship.

**
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of
Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking
becomes a warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

mike
**