Re: [Epic] Epic 30,000 Space Marine Army List Part I (LONG)

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:09:16 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from Epic: 7-Oct-97 Re: [Epic] Epic 30,000 Spac.. by "J.
Michael Looney"_at_eart
> Read it. Like I said, I will need to consult RT tonight, but I don't
> think the "pure" RT Land Raider can hump ANY kind of troops. That would
> make the Epic Land Raider a Spartan, just they don't call it that.

Yup, I think it is -- see my "Epic 30K Units" response. BTW, just to
save you some searching, the LR in RT is on page 110-111, and down at
the bottom of page 110 it has a little cut-away view of the LR, with an
arrow and note, "The interior of the Land Raider is large enough to
accommodate 10 troops and their equipment." So yes, the Land Raider has
*always* been able to carry troops.

I do note, though, that instead of fore-and-aft heavy bolters, there is
just a single bolter forward for anti-infantry work.

> > The units/background for SM-1 came from WH40k. WH40k inspired SM-1
> > so whats relevant in WH40k is relevant in SM-1,SM/TL and E40k.
> > the same universe, after all.
>
> 1) SM-0 was published in WD-110. The original rules for Space Marine
> were to add infantry into the Titan game, not the other way around.2) To
> me, at any rate, a "rule" out ranks "fluff". In all versions of Space
> Marine (the WD 110 issue plus later "add on" in WD), the published SM-1
> game, in SM/TL plus all add-ons and in Epic 40,000 they have NEVER said
> that termies eat 2 transport slots. Given the MASSIVE detail over load
> that SM-1 hit you with, and the MASSIVE amount of "Special Rules" that
> SM/TL hit you with, they could have said this if they wanted.

That, and SM/TL explicity says 10 Termies fit into a single Land Raider.
 (See the cards.) It doesn't make any comment about Rhinos, mind you,
but 10 can definitely get into a 'Raider.

> I notice that people that rant and rave about Land Raiders or other
> AFV's only being able to carry 1 stand of terminators are VERY silent
> about the side effect of this rule, to wit: Thunder Hawks. If a LR can
> only carry half as many termies as a it can normal beekies, then, by God
> so can a T-Hawk.

<grin>

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...