RE: [Epic] Whirlwinds in the Horus Heresy

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:54:13 -0500

>> But according to the Chaos Codex, I think that Chaos does get
>> Whirlwinds in WH40k (not E40k). I need to visit the game store and
>> check the Codex.
>
> Nope. The only vehicles available in the Codex are bikes,
>dreads, rhinos, preds, and land raiders. Which, incidentally, is
>almost exactly what was available to Chaos armies in SM/TL before
>that Q&A came along (almost exactly in that SM/TL chaos had access
>to land speeders as well).
>
>Scott
>shupes_at_...

-----> Yep, I checked El Chaos Book last night, and the above is
correct.
But, (Loophole alert!) a chaos player in 40K can take any vehicle from
the ultramarine support section at +50% to the cost. This makes
Whirlwinds
an (expensive) option.
Related Note: Notice there are still no 2nd ed 40K Vindicator
rules/datafax so
no "official" option for it in E40K. Being a sometime 1st ed SM player
though,
I'd say if you're going to play in that timeframe and context, your
non-mutant
(then, anyway) traitor marines should get them. Remember, they're going
effectively Space Marines in different colors - they in fact, should be
using
pretty much identical army lists as they are the same force with
different
opinions. Given this situation, NOT giving your traitor forces
whirlwinds &
vindies if the Loyalists have them is wrong.
        I will note that the fluff for the 50% option in the codex does mention
that this equipment is from later defections and not the original
heresy, but
if were using older fluff anyway, I think we can let this comment
slide...

Personal Opinion: If your going to get flexible like this then you might
as well
let the Blood Axes take some Impy equipment too. Go ahead - your ork
player will thank you. (Orky Whirlwinds - waaagh)

Chris Miller