Re: SV: [Epic] Holidays

From: Matthew Weyna <burb96_at_...>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 11:47:42 -0500

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> >>2 weeks? Ah oui? But where do you work, are you a slave? ;)
> >>
> >>Francois Bruntz
> >>Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)
> > Actually, the bulk of US workers get _NO_ paid vacations...
> >

> >Nickles
> >

> What?! You're not paid during your 2 weeks of vacation!!!!!!
> I thought that slavery had been abolished in North America?!
>
> So where are your Labor Unions? Where are your strikes? How do you
> manage to play Epic? ;)
>
> Francois Bruntz
> Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

  Well, I am in the Transport Workers Union, and we get one week after 6
months, and then one aditional week every 2 years. We can also buy
vacation at a pretty cheap price, we get one week off for Christmas, all
the normal Holidays, and since were Union we cant be fired unless it
goes through about 3000 other people first.
  However, it costs 2 hours worked a month- basically we get paid for 79
hours every 2 weeks. You cant get into any good jobs, b/c they cant get
fired- so you have to wait for them to retire or die, and you have to
support other Unions that are on strike. Thats like I was required, by
my Union Contrat, to support the last mail strike. I dont know about
you, but that Really sucked.

 Just my 2 cents worth. And hey, speaking of Holidays, Do you have
Monday of Mike?

 Matthew Weyna