RE: [Epic] The Dark Angels

From: Neil R. Thomason <n.thomason_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 14:33:47 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

>I am not entirely sure why I am doing it??? Gives me something to paint I
>guess. It would be cool though. IF I get it all done (Big IF) I will get
>some photos done. I might get some photos done as I finish companies.

Tell GW about it. They might help out with some figures (yeah, right) or
get some photos done for WD. This is the sort of thing they are looking for
in the UK, to make the company seem more 'gamer-friendly'.

***************

Someone else (sorry) said:

> The whole E40K exercise is nothing more than an attempt to extort (I'm
> pretty sure that that is the correct term) money from the gaming fraternity.

For once, I disagree. The EPIC rules needed a radical overhaul, so the
games developers pushed the executives to allow it. I don't think it was a
case of 'we're not getting as much money out of the EPIC players as we
might; let's tweak it a bit and rerelease'.

> I don't know how things happened on your side of the pond, but over here GW
> Aus sent sales reps around to all GW stores prior to the release of the
> highly overpriced E40K figures to collect all of their stock of the not
> quite so highly overpriced SM/TL figures.

Here in the UK, it was announced that the figures would no longer be sold
from a certain date, after which the shelf space was used for something
else. What would you have expected? In a market where parents, who don't
themselves know the games, are often the main customers, it is important to
have a cohesive image. If Grandma calls into the local GW store to buy
Jonnie something to go with his brand-new copy of E40K, blisters marked
'Titan Legions', with EPIC mentioned in the small-print, would be missed.
Another problem here was the introduction of lead-free miniatures; GW don't
sell the old castings at all. A marketing decision? Partly, although GW
did have a sale to get rid of the old lead.

There's a lot to be said against GW marketing policies, but I think the E40K
project has been better than most - think of the release of Space Hulk v.2,
virtually identical to the excellent v.1 (I think; I didn't waste my money
on it). Nor Gorkamorka. Nor Necromunda, for that matter.

Cheers,

NRT

Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over