Re: [Epic] Net Epic - Movement and Initiative

From: Chris Swearingen <tall-guy_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:11:45 -0800

Chris Swearingen
tall-guy_at_...

"my brain hurts!"
"well,... it will have to come out then!"

----------
> From: Tony Christney <acc_at_...>
> To: space-marine_at_...
> Subject: [Epic] Net Epic - Movement and Initiative
> Date: Tuesday, February 04, 1997 9:51 PM
>
> Someone mentioned my idea for an alternating movement phase. I
> really liked the idea when I came up with it, and I still think that
> it would be the method which requires the least change in the current
> system. I have played DS II, and I am not a complete fan of the idea
> of activating an entire unit at once, ie. doing movement and shooting
> at the same time. I am a big fan of the orders and phase system used
> in Epic. I feel it requires more strategy and planning out what you
> want each unit to perform in advance. I have other problems with the
> DS II system, but this is not really the place to complain...
>
> Anyway, here is my basic ideas for movement.
>
> 1. the movement phase would be divided up into three stages of movement;
> chargers, advancers, and first firers.
>
> A. Units with charge orders are required to move first. The logic
> being that these units are less concerned with enemy movements than with
> either getting from point A to point B, or with getting into close
combat.
> This also prevents units with advance orders from running away, then
opening
> up on their would be attackers.
>
> B. Units with advance orders can move after all charging units
> have moved. The logic here is that these units are advancing relatively
> slowly, making use of cover and keeping track of where the enemy units
are
> moving. Hence they have the advantage of being able to move into position
> to attack units which have just run headlong across the battlefield.
>
> C. First fire units that are capable of moving do so last. These
> units are the most experienced troops (commanders), or have very
sophisticated
> fire control centers (Imperator, squat SHV, etc.). I also like the idea
put
> forth by Ryan P Arndt that command units should be able to move in any
phase
> if so desired. However, I don't think that the units that can move and
first
> fire that are not command units should have this option.

basicly close to 1st ed SM

> 2. The movement phase would be done in an alternating style similar to
> the combat phase.

sounds good, any experience from DSII re unbalancing factors and other
hidden quirks?
(i've never seen the DSII rules)

> 3. Initiative would still be rolled for, but only would affect who gets
> shoot first, which is much less of an advantage than the current system,
IMO.

> In addition, I support the idea of being able to interrupt an opponent's
> unit during its move in order to take a shot. However, I think it would
> be best to limit this to direct fire, ie non-artillery, units on first
fire
> orders. The difficulty of hitting a moving target with artillery weapons
> is, IMO, to great to be easily overcome .

also a good idea

 Also, any unit that chooses to
> snap fire at a unit may do nothing else that turn. If it is a command
> unit, it forfiets its ability to move later in the turn.

really good stuff ... all from DSII or your own system?