Re: [Epic] The Dark Angels

From: Oki Purwanto <oki_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:48:09 +0800

At 10:25 PM 10/13/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Staffan Raupach <z96rast_at_...> came forth and spoke thusly
>about [Epic] The Dark Angels:

>>> As to exact numbers, who knows? There isn't much that points to that
>>> info. Each Company, however, has its own dreads (maybe two dreads
>>> for each company?). Same probably goes for THawks. However, painting up
>>> (let alone buying!) 10 or more new style THawks is probably prohibitive.
>>
>>In WD 210? they displayed the entire ultra m�rine chapter it had three
>>thunderhawks.
>>I always assumed that it was all they had.

I think the reason they had three was only because each of the Thunderhawks
were custom-made. WD did a story on how the miniatures guys had to stay back
after work to work on these Thunderhawks. So I supposed GW decided on three
because it was darn hard to make those Thunderhawks then as opposed to
manufacturing them now.

But I supposed the easiest way to "bull" one's way out of this would be this
"Do you really think that a normally equipped SM would only have three TH in
its armoury ?"

>I very much doubt it... it's another of the bizarre things. For
>instance, if there were only 1 million space marines there would be no
>way they could sustain the kind of casualties they do in both games and
>the fluff when their recruits take 20 years or so to train.

Yup, but the fluff did say that SM are like 7 foot of pure carnage and
mayhem. But GW intentionally toned it down for game balance. I mean looking
at the stats in 40k. A SM after years of training, hormone and drug
supplements, and psycho-hypnotism has only Weapon Skill of 4, which is
equivalent to a lowly (duck !) Imperial Guard lieutenant.

And that their movement is only 4, despite power armour and all ? And that
termies stormbolter is as good as useless; give them all heavy bolter (at
least!). I recently read Ian Watson's Harlequin. While his books are very
often over the top, one thing I like about his fluff is the equipment the
Imperial Fists Marines carry. These guys are armed with bolter and
auxilliary grenade launcher, as well as psychic hood (!) to counteract
Eldar's Howling Banshees scream. Now, these are real Marines, not some
pathetically equipped Marines we have in 40k :P Ah, the indignations the
Marines have to go thru, all in the name of game balance.

I could rant on and on, but I supposed it is unavoidable due to game balance.

Regards
Oki
p.s. Sorry if I do sound ranting. Just got my wisdom tooth pulled out and I
am pretty irritable :) Obviously having as well as not having a wisdom tooth
has not contributed an iota to my level of maturity or wisdom.