Re: [Epic] cheese

From: Chad Taylor <ct454792_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:44:29 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 duckrvr_at_... wrote:

> At 11:59 AM 2/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >This isn't anything really new of course, it is the advice that I usually
> >give to an Eldar player. You guys are VERY fast but also rather fragile.
> >So you tend to be strongest on the first turn and much weaker after that.
>
> I think turn 2 is really the Eldar player's make or break point. Often the
> first turn is spent positioning everything, which means transporting hth
> troops to secure objectives, maneuvering bikes to strike distance, etc. the
> second turn this leaves all my pop-ups ready to first fire, and all my
> specialty hth troops within striking distance. A loss of initiative on turn
> 2 hurts a lot, so I frequently hold position or fall back slightly if this
> happens, and hope for a good roll on turn 3.

Really? I try to not let a game go past the second turn. Keeping that
mind set often means that if the game goes into turn three that there is
really little left to do but mop up (me or him ;)

> But back to the fighting chaos problem . . . How about letting his thawks
> go? Take your lumps on turn 1, but set up to counter strike. Pick three
> objectives you think you can hold with no problem and commit just enough
> troops to hold them. Pick two more you think you can take and position your
> troops to take them. Of course you will have to keep your troops more
> concentrated to defend against the thawks, but if you bait him into
> deploying all of them turn 1, then he has nowhere to go from there.
> Besides, all his chaos marines will be near/in your lies while his plodding
> hth troops aren't across the board. Take lots of CC guys and hammer his
> marines into oblivion.
>
> Just a thought,
> Temp

Good solid advice. I don't much like the idea of letting the Chaos player
gain that many objectives. But one of the ways to help devalue the thawks
is to make there job harder. When you capture objectives place your
troops around them so that it isn't possible to come into CC with the
stand that is covering the objective. This is of course harder for Eldar
to do (only four stands in most detachments), but you can work on it.
This will hopefully mean that you will hold the objective for two turns.
By then you should be able to get some help to the area.

Exarches are another good edition. Since they are command units placing
them at strategic points can help gun down thawks that stay in the air to
provide fire support.