Re: [Epic] cheese

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 09:38:56 -0600

At 08:44 PM 2/5/97 -0500, you wrote:

>On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 duckrvr_at_... wrote:
>
>> A loss of initiative on turn
>> 2 hurts a lot, so I frequently hold position or fall back slightly if this
>> happens, and hope for a good roll on turn 3.
>>

>Really? I try to not let a game go past the second turn. Keeping that
>mind set often means that if the game goes into turn three that there is
>really little left to do but mop up (me or him ;)

I agree that the game is often decided on turn 2, but very rarely have I
seen a game actually end in 2 turns, and we had a chaos player who aimed for
4 turns. If it went that long he won, if it was shorter he usually didn't.
I've only seen one game that ended in one turn. The guy was completely
psyched out and did colossally stupid things. I had no mercy, and almost
felt bad later . . . :). Anyway, how is your overall win/loss average
aiming for turn 2? I only try it if something went amazingly well on turn 1.

>> But back to the fighting chaos problem . . . How about letting his thawks
>> go? Take your lumps on turn 1, but set up to counter strike. Pick three
>> objectives you think you can hold with no problem and commit just enough
>> troops to hold them. Pick two more you think you can take and position your
>> troops to take them. Of course you will have to keep your troops more
>> concentrated to defend against the thawks, but if you bait him into
>> deploying all of them turn 1, then he has nowhere to go from there.
>> Besides, all his chaos marines will be near/in your lies while his plodding
>> hth troops aren't across the board. Take lots of CC guys and hammer his
>> marines into oblivion.
>>
>Good solid advice.

Thanks

>I don't much like the idea of letting the Chaos player
>gain that many objectives.

Remeber, I said lock 3 of them down 1st turn. Anything close to your line
is usually easy to capture, and there are usually 3 within easy distance. If
the thawks are close to your line, you can dog-pile them. If they go
midboard, then he didn't really get anything out of them that rhinos wouldn't do

>Exarches are another good edition. Since they are command units placing
>them at strategic points can help gun down thawks that stay in the air to
>provide fire support.

Absolutely. Extra effective since thawks can't FF while airborne.

Temp