Re: [Epic] model questions

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 13:07:04 -0500

Luca Fazio wrote:
> > Did anybody look at my hill with a dragon skeleton? I was kinda
> > proud of it, and didn't hear any responses. (Maybe that means it
> > isn't as neat as I thought. :-) www.avs.com/~askinner/epic, look
> > at links for pic1, pic2, pic3.
>
> Yes, it looks great !!!
> How do you make the rocky ends of the hill undere the dragon ??

Thanks. The hill is two layers of blue insulation foam, carved
broadly with a foam cutter and then more specifically with a sharp
knife. The rocky parts were cut to look angular and semi-regular,
and a couple of pebbles are glued on here and there. The rocky parts
are painted gray, the grassy parts green. Rocks got a wash of black,
which almost ruined the effect, but after some gray applied lightly
(not quite drybrushing) seems to help, and then got a drybrush of
light gray along the edges. The drybrush really helped the effect,
I think. Some texturing might have helped, but I didn't try it in
this model. I think I'll have to try it on a sample piece first.
I flocked the grassy parts, overlapping the rocks a bit so the edge
wouldn't be too distinct (it still is pretty clear cut).

The dragon is a Ral Partha dracolich from a blister pack, minus
the pelvis and 4 legs. Cut it into pieces, drilled holes in the
exposed ends to make it look more like vertebrae, painted it ivory,
and washed it with brown. Took some bending to get the position I
wanted, and the positioning still leaves some to be desired. There
are bones sticking up that really don't have any way to support
them. But in general, I'm happy with the piece. I've got my rule
books out on loan to somebody, and after my next batch of painting
is done, I'll try it out on the battlefield.

andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner_at_...