Re: [Epic] Another barrage and transport question

From: Woofer <ss52dlh_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:07:42 +1000

On 15/10, Tyler wrote :

> Turning is not an account of friction, but of momentum or velocity. The larger
> the mass, the more the momentum, the harder it is to turn. Friction is what
> enables something to turn. Ever play asteroids? Notice how hard it is to turn,
> because there is no friction to slow momentum enough so that its direction can
> be changed. Or take hover craft, they slide like crazy. With most War Engines
> you can turn a complete 180. Of course, most of the time you can't move. But
> try to do a 180 in a car and see how fast you move in the new direction.

However, a tracked vehicle some 38,000 years into the (albeit
fantasy/SF) future should be able to stop and turn fairly quickly.
Hell, most current MBT's can stop in twice their own length or less
from full speed, then carry on the battle as normal. I should think
that there would have to be some method for protecting the crew from
such maneuvers, such as damping effects, hydraulics, etc.

As for Titans, well I see them as enlarged versions of the exo-suit
worn by Ripley in Aliens. I'll grant they're a tad bigger and a bit
more unwieldy, but still, 38,000 years is a long time to figure such
things as manueverability (I wish I could spell that) out.

Woofer
"What would you say to a beer, Normie?"
"Daddy wuvs you."