Re: [Epic] Deadly Eldar

From: Eugene Earnshaw-Whyte <eug_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 15:42:43 -0700

Colen McAlister wrote:

> I played two games of Epic 40K today, both 2000pts. I was Eldar, he was
> Marines. In the first game, detachment X managed to wipe out 5 land
> raiders and 7 stands of Tac marines in one turn- in the second, it
> destroyed 6 leman russ tanks, all in one turn. Deadly! I hear you say.
>
> What is this detachment? Is it massed AT shots? 3 Scorpions firing
> simultaneously? No. It is 6 stands of Warp Spiders / Swooping Hawks,
> each with Exarchs and two with Warlocks. Costs about 125 points, and it
> lost my opponent a total of about 20 morale. Is there any defence
> against such a detachment?
>
> <emblem of Slaanesh>
>
> 'Mad Dog' McAlister And The Cats, 'Jo', 'Fat Smudge' and 'Stac'
> -

Umm, yeah, there are a couple, but on the whole, that type of thing does
work pretty well.

The first big defense is to blow the #$%*ers to shreds before the assault
phase. This can be tricky because they are fast enough to hide out of range
behind cover and still get to grips with you in assault. Nevertheless, web
spinners, and heavy artillery can hit 'em pretty much wherever they are,
and big gunz, whirlwinds, and dactylis can do it if you set things up
right. Flyers can also be very helpful. (Yes, even against eldar. If you do
things right, there's no reason they should end up controlling the skies.)
Even if you can't wipe 'em out, every casualty/blast marker is a big blow.

The next thing is that they pretty much have to charge the closest unit,
because of the way assault movement works, so you should try to have an
appropriate detachment ready to recieve them. Daemon packs are great (so
great, in fact, the Eldar might wuss out and firefight them instead, the
scurvy dogs). Tyranids will also have few difficulties coming up with
something appropriate( six genestealers and 3 zoanthropes, par example).
War engines can be good too, as can medium to large size units with good
assault capabilities (some space marine and ork detachments).

Another excellent unit to receive the charge with is a bunch of grotties/IG
cannon fodder/xmagants. The ridiculous concentration of assault factors
will successfuly eliminate 35-50 points of troops, and you should be able
to vaporize the offending detachment shortly thereafter.

Another option is to beat him to the punch and attack the detachment with a
fast moving force of your own (bikes, probably). All those assault factors
won't help him win the firefight, and the psykers only count if they're
actually engaged in it. If you're good at guessing ranges, they won't be.

Incidentally, Chaos can make an (in some ways) nastier assault detachment
out of Bloodthirsters and Lords of Change, 'cuz they are skimmers and move
25 cm (doubled on charge). It's a bit silly, in my opinion, but my opponent
keeps doing it, and it works pretty well. In the last game I played, the
two detachments of Bloodthirsters/LOC, each 7 strong, would have been a big
problem, were it not for my o-so-masterful (some would say ruthless)
sacrifice of lots of wussy IG detachments to protect my really valuable
units. The infantry didn't thank me for it, but thats probably because they
were all dead. Or else it's because they're just plastic models.

Anti-tank shots done for the 'thirsters, by the way.

Eugene