Re: [Epic] Net Epic - Movement and Initiative

From: Tony Christney <acc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 12:10:01 -0800

>At 21:51 02/04/1997 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> A. Units with charge orders are required to move first. The logic
>>being that these units are less concerned with enemy movements than with
>>either getting from point A to point B, or with getting into close combat.
>>This also prevents units with advance orders from running away, then opening
>>up on their would be attackers.
>
>2 problems with this: 1) Units that want to be sneaky and quick don't have
>the option. The problem is that there are 3 factors: movement, firepower
>and stealth. Previously, anyone could try to be stealthy, regardless of
>orders. Now, if my bikes want to move quickly and stick to cover, then they
>are forced to choose speed over safety. If they're not worried about
>firing, just keeping cover and moving quickly, then they should be allowed
>to move after advance fire. This would be like the difference between
>charging and running in 40K. But, the problem with letting close combat
>troops automatically overrun advancers is . . . 2) In real combat, there is
>nothing to prevent someone from firing on their enemies while they retreat.
>SOP for marine mortarmen bugging out of a position is to fire HEDP rounds at
>90 degrees, charge 4. This gives them about 2-3 minutes (or 4-5, I can't
>remember hang times) to clear the area before that shell comes back down.
>It is also SOP for any dug in position, e.g. machine guns, to have a fall
>back position. So, I don't think preventing advancing units from backing up
>and chewing chargers as they come is a proper goal.
>
>Temp

I don't see these points necessarily as problems for the following reasons:

1. If you want a unit to be sneaky and quick, then you had best find them
some _real_ cover. In 40K (although I hate comparing it to Epic) if someone
runs in front of your overwatch unit, then you can take shots at them. It
doesn't matter if they are running or charging. However, if they remain in
cover and manage to get into a position where they are invulnerable to enemy
fire, then they have succeeded in being sneaky.

2. Don't forget, you have at least one turn (usually) to prepare for a charge.
2-5 minutes to retreat is hardly what I would call breathing down your neck.
You can still run away, but if you want to shoot at the charging infantry,
you will eventually be caught. It is very hard to shoot at someone as you are
running away from them (unless you are in a movie ;).

3. Perhaps there could be a comprimise whereby troops that are on advance
orders are charged and they culd shoot at their chargers at a reduced
efficiency, or after they have passed a suitable test. I would recommend
the latter and have it like a rally test, ie a morale test with no danger
of going onto fall back orders.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. I have to admit that I haven't playtested
these rules, so there are bound to be flaws. Mark brought up the most
important one, and that involves pinning...

Tony Christney
acc_at_...