Re: [Epic] Xgants

From: Sean A. Upchurch <sau_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 17:01:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Alex wrote:

> Whats an effective use of termagants or hormagaunts? They just get wasted
> when they get fired on.

Uh. that *is* the main use of the termagant strain critters. Let me
explain.

Hormagaunts are somewhat more useful for the assault minded bug player.
They are blazingly fast and their assault of 3 matches or exceeds that
of anyone else's basic troopers. They are also great for bulk and reach.
Tyranids always want to look for opportunity to wipe out detachments.
Since they will arguably do their most damage in Assaults you will find
that a small horde of cheap,fast horms allows you to have models in contact
with more of the enemy detachment -- remember you can't kill what you don't
touch. This works *really* well against enemy rampagers.

Termagants are the literal firesoaks of the bug army. They are poor in
Assaults and poor in shooting with their short range. They do help out in
those firefights though and are cheap. One thing I've found them useful
for is to reduce opposing firepower. How? you ask. They have the lowest
armor value of anything you can field. When I'm assaulting a position,
especially one held by marines, I find most of the opposing army sitting
around on Overwatch. So I lead the assault with a wave of termagants.
Not only do they absorb the first shots, but they also prevent my opponent
from rerolling any '3' that comes up! This is when I'd normally argue that
the most powerful ability of all is a re-roll of any kind. This is even
better on later turns when you don't have quite so many terms left as all
those excess, overkill, non-rerollable '3's just sorta go away.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Sean U

---------
Sean A Upchurch | http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~sau
Jet Propulsion Laboratory | EPIC /spmar/spmar.html
sau_at_... | WH40K /wh40k/40k.html +others!