Re: [Epic] Net Epic - shooting at chargers

From: nethol <nethol_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 11:14:26 +0200

----------
> From: Simon Dodds <c9415355_at_...>
> To: space-marine_at_...
> Subject: [Epic] Net Epic - shooting at chargers
> Date: 07 �ubat 1997 01:17
>
> This question may have already been answered somehow, but at what point
in
> the firing phase do units get the chance to shoot at those charging them?
> This seems to be an unusual type of snap fire. Would certain modifiers
need
> to be included?
>
> While on the subject of chargers, if a unit that has some of it models
> engaged in CC, can you only give charge orders to the whole unit next
turn
> if still engaged? ie. can those unengaged shoot at a different target?
Also,
> if the whole unit is stil engaged, do you need to give them charge
orders? I
> wouldnt think so but it has caused confusion in the past.
>
> doddsy

> Simon Dodds
> c9415355_at_...
> http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/1353/
>
> "I don't need to see the world through rose-coloured glasses, for my
> eyes are naturally bloodshot."

1. Defensive fire to chargers -is- snap-firing. If we modify to the rules
such that every det with FF orders can snap-fire then we should also
eliminate this sort of def fire, which would be a redundancy, and replace
it with snap-fire. Actually, it would be more logical since a det snap
firing the charging det cannot fire at any others (by the existing rules,
the individual stands that are not in actual base-to-base contact, ie in
CC, -can- fire at other targets), while being able to combine fire against
attackers ('free' stands can shoot them as well, which is what happens in
'real life' anyway). The defending unit should have the right to snap-fire
at any stage of the charger's movement until the last stand is moved (even
if, by then some of the stands might be in b-to-b contact).
2. I think you should give any order you like, so long as the stands
engaged in CC doesn't shoot.
3. While on the subject of charging, I would like to introduce one of our
house rules here. "Transports and infantry in mixed detachments (eg SM
tactical or terminator, or Evil Sunz Clan) can be given different orders so
long as they differ just by one degree (that is FF&A or C&A but not FF&C)
and the formation rules are obeyed". The logic behind this can be readily
understood watching the "real life" troops disembarking from their
transports under fire. The weapon mounts on the transport opens fire on
defending positions covering for the troops disembarking by stages. This
modification eliminates situations where giving your Terminators charge
orders prevents their Land Raiders from shooting (while their CAF is much
lower, and fire power considerably higher). It also enables the
transportees to defend their advancing vehicles in CC, if charged by the
enemy. Suppose you are a trooper: do you just sit in your personnel carrier
and wait to be butchered while attacked by charging infantry, just because
your carrier "doesn't move fast enough" or "preparing to shoot" (that is in
advance orders)?

S. Birol Akmeric

nethol_at_...