[Epic] Battle Report

From: Chris Pinson <chrisp_at_...>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 11:00:55 +1030

Hiya All,

well then, after shooting my mouth off about crushing Alun's orks I did manage to beat him. It went a little like this ( I don't have a lot of time so only highlights I'm afraid ) ......

We only took 1000 points each as we wanted a reasonably quick game.

My force consisted of 5 detachments ...

Det 1 & 2

3 Landraiders and 2 Predators

Det 3

Librarian and Rhino
3 Tactical and Rhinos
2 Support weapons and 2 Razorbacks

Det 4

3 Heavy Artillery and 1 Seige Artillery

Det 5

Warhound titan.

Alun's orks were split into 3 detachments which consisted of (Approx)....

Det 1

A dozen battle wagons
1 Speedsta with death ray
1 speedsta with lifta droppa
1-2 vanilla speedsta

Det 2

Same as 1 but replace battle wagons with bikes

Det 3

2 flak wagons
some boys (can't really remeber how many, 10 maybe)
5-6 big guns ????

The table consisted of a few hills, woods etc with the major feature being a steep, wooded hill in the center (atop which lay my Capture objective).

Al opted for a fairly even deployment with a slight emphasis on my left flank (due to his resuce objective)

Luckily for me, I also placed a heavy emphasis on my left flank.

From my left, Al's setup was .. Det 1 .. Det 2 .. Det 3

My setup was Det 5 .. Det1 .. Det 3 .. Det 4 .. Det 2

The opening turn saw Al put det 1&2 on assault while I put my tacticals on march to capture my objective.

Shooting casualities were fairly light.

Al's bikes charged up the hill right into my Tac marines. I narrowly lost the combat forcing me to retreat away from my objective.

I rallied the marines at the end of the turn and turned them once more to face the hill.

Turn 2 saw me facing 600 points of orks preparing to go on assault and sweep my left flank from under me. All I could do was put the Tac's and Det 1 onto overwatch.

The battle wagons and bikes came racing up my flank. The bike detachment took massive hits which basically wiped it out as an effective force. The wagons were a different story, they assaulted both det1 (Land Raiders) and the Warhound. I lost again. Det 1 was anihillated while the warhound retreated.

Rallying the Warhound, I was in a position to catch Al's battle wagons in a cross fire.

Turn 3 saw Al get done over. The cross fire was murderous and nearly wiped out his battle wagons.

At this point Al conceeded.

A few other points ...

My det 5 (land raiders and preds) held up Al's det 3 ALL game. I estimate his detachment was worth about 250 points. I neutralised it with 184 points. Add to this that I only lost 1 predator from that detachment while Al lost about half.

I did have good fate cards (orbital barrage, divine inspiration).

Al had huge problems advancing on Land Raiders on overwatch. I only had 6 but they were effective.

To the ork players out there ... How do you deal with Imperial Armies ??? I suggested to Al that he should base his army around Gargants. What do you think.

Anyway, Al and I hope to have 2000-3000 point game in a few weeks. One of us will do a report.

Cheers

Chris Pinson

"I don't suffer from insanity,
I enjoy every minute of it"