Re: [Epic] Advice: Eldar vs. Imperial players.

From: Erik K. Rutins <snowdo1_at_...>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 19:23:25 -0500

> I had made a fairly well-balanced army with a good deal of
> different tanks (unfortunatly with too few troops as I found out)
> but my opponents force was almost entierely made up of:

Don't give up - keep making balanced armies. It is possible to beat
cheese with balance and tactics and it's usually the best way to teach
the cheesy player a lesson.

> 6 Thunder Hawks
> 30 mixed bikes
> 10 Vindicators and (surprise, surprise)
> 20 Land Raiders....
> sob.. those LR's realy are too cheap.

Ouch. This is a real power-gamer. If you have trouble with him in the
future (if you play him again) you may want to suggest a pre-battle
house rule; something like no more than 25% of points may be spent on
land raiders or T-Hawks. I suppose it's possible for a marine force
like this to show up, but I really find it in poor taste that there is
not a single infantry squad in the above list.

> Q: Since you have to a roll vs. armour twice on flyers (one
> to score a hit, the other to see if it's damaged or dead), what do
> you do with AT flak? Do you roll 4+ twice, or 4+ then 6+ or
> 6+, then 4+ (here: the T.Hawk).???

The second roll is always against the armor value, IMHO. A measure of
some kind of structural integrity or survivability, etc. Real world
example would be blowing most of a wing off an F-16 vs. an A-10. You
still blew most of the wing off, but the A-10 may make it back, whereas
the F-16 will nose dive and crash. Hence the second roll would be a 6+.

Regards,

- Erik