Re: [Epic] Epic (square) bases

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 1997 13:37:41 -0500

Andy Skinner wrote:

> Scott Shupe wrote:
> > Black base coat, white drybrush.
>
> I've tried this. Any secrets to it? I've had much more success
> with washing than drybrushing. How long does it take to drybrush
> a black figure so it looks white with black details? Do you go
> straight for white, or do you start with something else? (I've
> heard that ivory covers better, for example, so might be a good
> first coat.)

        Well, we're probably using different paints - I've always
used Testors enamels. That aside, I paint on the black base coat
and let the mini sit for a day or two - if I try to apply the white
paint before that it mixes in with the black base and the whole
thing turns grey. A light drybrush gives you a faint white color;
a second drybrush should be adequate for what you're looking for.

        I should point out I've never really tried this on anything
as small as a space marine. I think it would still work, but
applying a light drybrush on something that small would take some
patience.

> I'll have to try again. In the past, I've never gotten beyond
> having a messy gray. Is this something that would take too long
> to do a lot of figures?

        For me, yeah, but I have a low tolerance for precision
drybrushing. But as far as enamels go, the crucial step is to
wait a few days between applying the base coat and drybrushing -
if you think you can do the drybrushing quickly then it shouldn't
be a problem.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Omigod! The dead have risen and they're voting Republican!" - the
Simpsons