[Epic] Alternate pinning rules (was: Net Epic)

From: <duckrvr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 10:26:52 -0600

At 02:48 PM 2/6/97 -0800, you wrote:

>>Perrins question on pinning collosi and dominatrixes what nicely
>>answered by Spatula(Thank you!!)so as you can see the system seems to
>>handle these problems well. The other concern regarding the system were
>>jetbikes on advance. this regards more the sticky subject of the
>>pinnning rules I wanted to leave this for a further topic, but I'll give
>>you my views as food for thought. Pinning was simpler before Titan
>>Legions and If we go back to those guidelines it will iron out the
>>inconsistencies.The rules were that a like class unit of model could pin
>>a model of it same class or inferior class(with respect to
>>movement),that is a land raider could pin a ork lungbusta or equivalent
>>class vehicle (same class) or could pin troop stands (lesser class), but
>>what changed with TL and caused all the headaches was that skimmers
>>couldn't be pinned at all. To fix it lets go back to the older rule that
>>a skimmer may pin a skimmer and that should take care of it.This still
>>may make skimmers on advance to deal with, but that is their strength
>>and it will be refreshing to see jet bikes used tactically in advance
>>instead of the usual headlong charge. Also remember if an eldar player
>>takes advantage of being in advance to avoid as much pinning as possible
>>he will also not be able to engage you in CC-get the hint!

Of course that still leaves the Tempests. Since they are skimmers and
super-heavies neither regular skimmers nor regular superheavies can pin them.

An alternate pinnning rule a friend of mine came up with runs like this:

A model can be pinned if it is engaged by a greater caf that it has,
calculated as follows: The highest caf of any attacking model +1 per
additional model.
Fro example, a squad of Chaos marines (with a +1 card) swarms a Warhound.
That's 4 (the whole squad is +4 caf w/ the card) +4 (5 stands total) = +8,
so the Warhound is pinned.

This doesn't represent a physical impedement, as much as the attackers just
become impossible to ignore. Even a titan has to do something when there
are 60 guys at close range or climbing on it, dropping grenades into every
joint and exhaust vent. Sure a skimmer can blow past an infantry squad, but
turning your back on 20 guys with guns is not wise, no matter how fast you
are. Of course, you could still make skimmers a separate class. But I
would think that several speeders could still pin a tempest.

What do you think? Do you like it? Whether or not you like it, do you
think it would work?

Temp