Re: Support Weapons (was Re: [Epic] Squat 40K List)

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 04:41:27 -0600

Chris Pinson wrote:

> Hiya
>
> Without trying to sound tetchy, I think you may be missing the point. All
> four support weapons fill a similar role within an army, furthermore they
> have a similar effect. Not Identical but similar. In E40K the aim was to
> abstract above the things which are similar and concentrate on the
> differences. I am the first to admit that the final result of this was a
> bit of a mishmash (Consider the Ork battlewagon debate) but I think the
> principle is sound.

I think you may be missing a point about "role with in an army". A
"real" 1990's army has, at the Company Level 3 support weapons that
would be visible at Epic Scale (vs squad level MG). Heavy Machine Guns
(Rapier in Epic), Mortars (Mole Mortar in Epic) and Anti-Tank Guided
Missiles (Tarantulas in Epic). They do NOT all have the same role, and
if you try and use say a mortar against Armor you will have problems,
likewise while a ATGM is wonderful against tanks and other AFVs it lacks
in dealing with infantry, and while a HMG is great at covering an area
of ground and making people keep their heads down, they are not worth
squat on the other side of a hill.

I might go as far as to class Mole Mortar's and Thud Gun's role
together, but the other 2 are not even close in role, at least in a
"real" army.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus